How long does it take for Real Butter to go bad when left sitting out

I'm talking the real stuff, sticks in a butter dish

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 11:53 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I keep mine in a washed out frosting container. The lid snaps on tight and the butter stays soft and spreadable (unlike what happens if you fridge it). I learned this from my best friend's mom. It stays out until it's gone. Then I wash the dish and put in another stick or two. I have it out for weeks at a time and it has never grown mold or anything. Basically, just keep it covered.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 12:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I leave mine out all day and never have a problem. It's best to keep it chilled but it hasn't hurt me or my family so far leaving it out

Answer by admckenzie at 11:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Your not suppose to let any perishable food (which butter is) stay out for more then 2 hours. After that you risk it being contaminated by multiplying bacteria.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 11:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It depends partly on if the butter is salted or unsalted. Salted butter can sit out for much longer because the salt inhibits bacterial growth. If you are concerned, smell it. If it smells greasy or odd, chuck it. If it smells like nothing or sweet, it's fine.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Because it is pure fat, the only risk is that it will go rancid and be of poor taste and quality - but not bacterial growth.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't leave it out for too long for fear of bacteria.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I wouldnt eat anything sitting out for to long you could get sick.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Had to look at what I had in the frig - it says on the container and wrapper to "keep refrigerated for quality". I don't think I could trust anything left out, but "momma always told me" to put it away !! Guess whatever your body has built an immunity to is good too.
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• my grandmother and mother always had a butter dish that sat on the kitchen table. it never went bad and it was always spreadable. i guess if it was sitting out in extreme heat it would go bad (but it would smell bad), but room temperature it's ok.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If you are spreading it on stuff & putting the knife back in then you could be leaving behind particles of food..which would indeed cause bacteria to grow..
    Anonymous