cool mist humidifier? warm mist humdifier? which one do u use?

my aunt got me this great cool mist humidifier but ive never opened it cuz idk when to use it? i know to use the warm one when my dd is sick but i read somewhere they want u to use to cool mist ones now! so what do i use to cool mist one for? and which one do u think is better!

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• COOL, Don't use the warm mist, it breeds germs and bacteria

Answer by admckenzie at 11:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I have always used cool mist for sickness. My mom used one for me too when I was little.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:57 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Cool mist. And it can be used anytime, not just when someone is sick. When the humidity in the home starts dropping from the cold and furnace running, I turn it on. the house seems warmer even though I didn't turn it up. And there is less static in the air.
    I notice less colds in the house when I use it all the time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I keep a large room cool mist humidifier on all the time in the winter, or when the furnace has to run. It doesn't make the windows fog up, it just keeps enough moisture in the rooms to help our sinuses. I also put an antimicrobial cleaning cartridge in it to prevent mold and bacteria from growing in it. I change it every 30 days, and I also use distilled water in it because tap water has a lot of minerals in it and can clog up the machine. Oh and our Dr. recommended the cool mist.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• cool thanks ladies! im unpacking the cool mist one right now! this thing is fancy! it has where u can set the humidity level and it will turn on and off by it self! cool!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Cool mist. Once a week, I soak the filter in water with a bit of vinegar, which breaks up the minerals, and reduces bacteria. Also, I run it until it completely dries out which also reduces bacteria - so I don't fill it all the way up, just enough to make it through the night, then it dries all day. When she is sick, I sprinkle peppermint and lavender oil where the mist comes out, that helps clean the air as well as helps her breathe easier. Our doesn't need water to run, it's just a fan and a filter-wick. So I use it all year round as white noise in her room. It's starting toward the dry season, here, though, so I'm about to start adding water.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 1:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We have a warm mist one.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My ped always told me to use the cool mist one.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 10:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2010