4 month old needs bottle to sleep

So , my husband & I just realized our 4 month old son will only go to sleep with a bottle! It usually only takes about an ounce, but I know this is not a good habit. We go tomorrow for our 4 month check up, so we will obviously talk to our Dr about this, but I was looking for other opinions because I know sometimes Dr's don't always have the right answers. He just always screams & has a fit & the bottle seems to be the only thing to calm him down. Now, he has acid reflux, & we are treating him for that, but maybe what we are giving him is not working to it's potential & THAT is what is making him scream? Uuugh..I would just like to know how to break him of this habit. Let him scream???

LDA33

Asked by LDA33 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't see anything wrong with it. My 4 month old DS likes to nurse to sleep, or will tolerate a bottle if daddy is on duty. He's storing up so he can sleep a few hours. Is yours able to get himself back to sleep if he wakes up? It's important to learn to self-soothe, but it's still okay to "spoil" your baby. It helps them realize they can trust you.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 12:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Bath (if at night), lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on maybe, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies. Now, you probably have a similar routine and you could drop the bottle being part of it or substitute a pacifier. It might be rough for a few nights but he can adjust.  Good luck

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My little boy seemed to have this habit too at 3-4 months.However I relaized he caught this habit because we got tired holding him and used to put him down when he was screaming to sleep, we would put the bottle in his mouth so that he got quiet and slept.This became a habit for him.To make free of this habit, we started rocking him to sleep and did not put him down even if we were tired.The baby who seems to be screaming at the top of his voice at one point, will sleep off in few minutes if rocked patiently and without us getting irritated and will do so without needing a bottle.I guess baby understands it if we are irritated and scream all the more so we should avoid that.
    prarich

Answer by prarich at 12:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• my 9 month old has to eat to go back to sleep i have tried everything else! its just a stage she will grow out of!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Having a bottle while sleeping may cause ear infections and tooth decay when older. My sister used to give her daughter a bottle of warm water.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I have never seen a baby go to bed without a bedtime bottle...it is only bad to send them to bed with a bottle as a toddler
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My baby never went to bed with a bottle.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son is 11 mo and he still does it. He goes to sleep with and he is fine. He sleeps through the night mostly so it doesn't bother me. We are trying to get out of the habit since we are trying to go away from the bottle. But my son still does it
    andersonmommy87

Answer by andersonmommy87 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2010