When not to swaddle??

I have a 4 month old son & it is coming to a point where he is getting to big for our swaddle blanket. Swaddling is the only way this baby will sleep ....& obviously he can't be swaddled forever....lol We have tried to not swaddle him, but he kicks & kicks & moves around sooooo much!? I am thinking maybe it's because he is not wrapped up & is not used to it? I just would like to know how to break him of this & get him sleeping in his crib.

LDA33

Asked by LDA33 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he's kicking his way out of the blanket, it's probably time to to switch from swaddling. He's pretty old for it (no harm if he'll stay in the blankets, but most babies are done swaddling by now).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If he's kicking and moving without fussing and crying then that may just be him exploring his new found freedom. That doesn't mean that he is not liking not being swaddled. Try it out for a few naps and see how it works. He may actually become accustomed to it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• this is going to sound so mean but when our dd could not fit in her swaddle she would kick her legs and keep herself awake, so we would hold down her legs for a min or 2 and she would fall asleep! i know it sounds so bad but its wat we had to do! good luck! oh and try a sleep sack if he wont keep blankets on!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I stopped swaddling once they were home, I held them all the time but our boys didn't like being all confined.. It made me uncomfotable to,lol... I would think 4 months is plenty old enough to stop... In a few days he will adapt, just like with anything else....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Our son loved to be swaddled. We bought a swaddle blanket.

http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2256259

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I stopped when my son was 2 months old.. as soon as he learned how to get out of it. I found that he doesn't like being confined. Try a sleep sack :)
    LogansMamma0511

Answer by LogansMamma0511 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I stopped swaddling and just threw a light blanket over the head while rocking and humming a song
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My daughter NEVER liked to be swaddled. She likes to be able to stretch out & take up all kinds of room.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 12:06 AM on Nov. 16, 2010