6 year old chores and allowance?

My son will be 6 soon. He has taken interest in earning an allowance and earning it through chores (yeah!). He already helps out a bit with cleaning up toys and things when I ask him, but I wonder what is appropriae for a 6 year old as far as daily chores for earning an allowance?

And, what is an appropraite allowance for a 6 year old?

( I have an almost 2 year old and baby due any day, and a hubby that is at work a lot.... incase that helps give any ideas)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We have a 14, 8 and 7 yr old, all boys, and NONE of them get an allowance for helping take care of the home that they all live in..... We don't believe in paying them for being a part of the family. They all have specific chores they have to do before they can get on the computer, or play games, outside etc.. That's their pay, not money. We give them age appropriate chores,and they know they have to do them on a daily basis.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i thinks thats great giving your kids allowance.It''s a good way to teach them the value of money and how to handle finances.Chore wise for a 6 yr old,I wouldn't expect alot.Maybe keeping his room cleaned up,set the dinner table,put his clothes away,etc.
    alisha34886

Answer by alisha34886 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I never gave an allowance but did expect the kids to do their share around the house. In return they get money when they need it.
    When I was a kid though we had 6 kids and got $2.50 a week each and everything we did not do on the chore list my mom deducted 25cents, so some kids got nothing because they didn't do anything but I always wanted my full amount so I did everything listed on my list of chores
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I would say a dollar or two would be the right amount.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 2:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Folding laundry, sorting socks, drying silverware and putting it away, changing the trash bag if he can manage it, carpet sweeper or broom, packing his snack and water for school.
    I would give him a chore that he has to do for free, and another chore he can choose to do to earn an allowance. Sit down together and decide on a list of chores. I think that sometimes they decide not to do chores when they don't want the money, but they still need to learn that chores have to be done regardless.
    Think about what kind of money you want to spend on this. If you give him a chore everyday that he can earn money for, how much a week are you willing to give him if he does his chore every day? 50c a chore is $3.50 a week
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 2:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My daughter is 6. She is expected to help out around the house and does not receive an allowance for helping to take care of her own home. Julita's chore list includes making her own bed, cleaning her room, folding the towels, and putting away her clean laundry. She also helps with the garden (in season) and loves to help with meal prep and setting/clearing the table for dinner. She often runs the vaccum for me or sweeps the floors.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I'd say a Dollar a week...for his age.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 8:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Chores should be done without allowance. What does a 6 year old need money for anyway?
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would say anywhere from 3-5 dollars a week would be OK. There are a lot of things a child that age can do. Help sort laundry, help gather trash from around the house, sorting recycling, wiping down surfaces, setting the table for meals, helping clear the table after meals, picking up toys and things around the house..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• A 6 year old needs money to learn the value of it, and to buy his own little toys or treats if he wants them, and also put some in savings or donations. I think it teaches responsibilty and the worth of money. Is a great idea. I say for a 6 year old maybe 2.50 - 3.00 bucks week.. for chores that help you. Regular things like brushing teeth, getting dressed, etc... i think should be done just to be done... but help with dishes, sweeping, etc he should earn some money for.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2010