Why on EARTH would you CHOOSE a cesarean?

I've noticed that a lot of women on this site choose to have a cesarean even though it's not medically necessary. For instance, with their first child. Why would you CHOOSE that? Is it about avoiding the time and pain of vaginal delivery? What?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think she is asking about people who choose not to just because they don't want to - NOT because they don't want to harm their baby. Obviously that is different and MEDICALLY NECESSARY. There are a lot of people getting defensive on here, but it doesn't change the fact that C Sections are extremely abused in this country and it is NOT a "good" thing.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 9:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Wow, shouldn't this be a woman's choice? I would have preferred a c-section to the 37 hours of back labor I endured with our younger daughter. I hear so many people on here going on and on about wanting a woman to have the choice of abortion, why would you not want a woman to have a choice in this as well?

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Well, I had a medically necessary c-section. Next time, if I'm able, I'll attempt a vaginal birth. However, to be honest...my c-section was such a piece of cake that I'd be glad to have one again. I don't really think it's anyone's business if someone wants to choose to have an elective c-section. I never would have chosen one the first time, but to each their own. It wasn't NEARLY as bad as people made it out to be before I had it. I was terrified, and it was all for nothing! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I'm all for women's choices. So long as they are informed choices. C-sects are no walk in the park. Recovery isabitch! Maybe it was worse because I'd already been in labor for 40 hours, and pushing for 3? IDK. It is a serious abdominal surgery, though! But unlike most other abdominal surgeries where you are directed to lay low and rest, SURPRISE!!! You have a new born that sleeps only 1 hour at a time, and eats every 2. Rest? In what universe?
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 1:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i know its crazy!! the only reason i would chose is if they did a tummy tuck while they were at it! lmao!! sorry but im all for a 100% natural birth!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I agree it's a choice but I also think that many women are going into a c-section with blinders on. They have NO idea how this will effect them, their future fertility, their future pregnancies, their future labors, their future births, their emotions, etc. A "simple" c-section is not so simple.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I didn't know they would automatically do one if you asked. I had two and I've seen numerous vaginal births. I am so thankful I had my c-sections though. I know alot of women with natural births have so many bladder issues, I don't have any of them. I never had any issues or problems with my c-sections.

I am guessing that moms are looking more into them for the cosmetic reasons now a days. I mean hey, if women worry about bleaching their private parts, you know what they're thinking about normal deliveries!! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Many women are puppets to their doctors.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My 1st was natural. My 2nd wanted to jump out into the world..lol and my 3rd I did a c-section b/c my 2nd was + i have fibroid.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 12:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Honestly, I have never seen anyone get an "elective" C section. There has to be more to it. The only time I've seen it be a choice is when they already had one the first time and are given the option of VBAC or another c section. If a C section was done for vanity, and not for medical reasons you'd think insurance wouldn't pay for it either. IDK
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2010