Mall kids' play area - safe and fun exercise, or ground zero for the next germ epidemic?

I've got some mom friends, and I put out an invite for anyone to join my daughter and I at the mall play area. This kid needs to climb around on something, and it's kinda cruddy weather out. Is everyone just busy, or are mall play areas gross and considered bad form to invite there?

Airamana

Asked by Airamana at 12:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait until they had to elementary school... better to build immunity now.

toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I really think that if you think that way, you might as well lock your child in a bubble. Parks are every bit as played on, as are the items in the Doctor's Offices. You can't stop germs and actually kids need some germs to help build up their immune systems.

On a side note, this might be a great business for someone, to come in and clean the mall play area, McDonald's play area, etc.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Both! But I bring wipes and hand sanitizer for before and after.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 12:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I've wondered the same thing, lol. I haven't let my son play of that stuff yet because I feel like it all has to be just infested with germs. But...I figure he's a kid, he's going to be exposed to germs anyway, so next time I'll probably let him play on it. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think they are great places for the kids to play. I'm NOT a germaphobe so that part doesn't bother me at all. I'm in the school of thought that thinks that kids need to exposed to germs from time to time.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Um,both. Wipes and hand sanitizer. Also a good dose of reasoning, let them play and maybe I can accomplish what I came here for after they are done.
    ladygetz

Answer by ladygetz at 12:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• The one by my house, a neighbor says they clean every night as part of mall closing. But I'm not worried nor would i be if they weren't cleaned religiously every night.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Those places are scary and I avoid them like the plague.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i love the mall playgrounds. We go to the one by our house all the time. It is safer than the regular playgrounds b/c it is soft, plus it is better than being outside in the heat.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• The one at my mall has an automatic hand sanitizer station posted at the entrance to the playground with a sign requesting that everyone wash before and after playing.

Answer by missanc at 2:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2010