how should i get over my terrifying fear of needles and doctors?

I can't go to a dr appt without having an anxiety attack and getting very upset. i dont know wht to do i am really traumatized

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i have that too
    i look away when needles are being used on me, i talk constantly aout anything while looking away, go to another place, also i HAVE to lay down or iwill faint, i just do not let then take blood unless i am laying down, some nurse have ignored me and said it is just a little bit, i say i have to lay down, i can lay down before you take blood or after you do or even while you are taking blood, but i always end up laying down

also, i HAD to have a c section, i was very freaked out when i read about the surgery, i told my doctor, he did not talk anout it, even while cutting me open- no one talked about what was goingon, everyonein room very respectful and i was fine
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Talk to the doc AND the nurse about it. They can minimize how many times you have to get stuck, if they think about it! And ask if you can also get a numbing spray done before the blood draw, so you won't feel it so bad. And take someone with you, so you don't feel so out of control. HUGS to you, there are certainly enough visits needed when your pregnant.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Think about the health of your baby and what has to be done to make sure he or she is healthy. I don't like needles either. I have GD which means I have to check my blood sugar 2hrs after each meal. I have to do what has to be done for me and my baby's health.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 12:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think this is the same for all of us at one stage or another during pregnancy. It sounds for you that when you think of a doctor, you associate them with pain. Try to associate the doctor with being in charge of your babies health. I honestly dont remember a procedure during pregnancy that had to do with needles and being super uncomfortable. Most of it is the fear of the unknown. Explain to your doctor how you are feeling, how anxious you get just going in to their office. Hopefully this doctor will ease your fear and you can move on to enjoying this relationship you will be having with this doctor for the next few months. Remember, this is all for baby!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• How about switching you care to a Midwife? They look a whole lot different then OBs and can even come to your home for prenatal visits! Plus you will receive intimate, one-on-one care with a Professional that actually knows your name without consulting a chart!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I was terrified too - until I got pregnant. My fear was really my reaction when I would get a shot. So, I convinced myself that as long as the blood was going out and nothing was going in, then I would be fine - works for me !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I was also thinking avoid a doctor, and needles. I prefer midwifery care for normal pregnancies because it's safer and gentler. Are you healthy?
    (Why use a surgeon/high-risk doctor if you don't have to?)
    There are very different kinds of care. If you want a normalized style then avoid the medical model.
    There are many things you can do, but that would be an obvious start.
    ;-)
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• yes talk to your doctor. I still hate needles. Just the thought make me sick
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2010