C-sections easier on the baby?

I had a c-section because i needed too, so i dont know what a vaginal birth is like really. But, my aunt just recently had a baby & her boyfriends mother said when she was the baby how nice babys born by c-section look. she said her other grandchildren were born vaginally & they bruised, & etc. Her and my grandma were saying they think babies born by c-section have it alot easier because they dont have to go through the trauma of trying to go down a tunnel & be pushed out of an opening that is too small. My friend kim delivered vaginally, & her vagina was too small & the baby dislocated his shoulder comming out & it took 6 weeks to heal. I think I kind of agree with them but i think a women should have her choice. & personally im happy my vagina isnt all tore up.

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 12:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Health

• I was wondering the same thing- if it doesn't effect the baby negatively who cares if someone has a c-section.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• First, the baby dislocated the shoulder because the Dr./nurse/whoever pulled on it too hard instead of waiting. Birth does not "tear up" your vagina - it stretches (and it goes back to fairly the same size as it started - if it doesn't, simply keagle (spelling?) exercises will make it go back). The rim might tear, but if you have a good Dr., they will see that potential ahead of time and make a small incision which heals fairly easily.

Anesthesia effects to the baby are a big issue with C-sections, as well as the effects to the mother.

It comes down to if you have a good doctor, they should be able to tell you what the best option is for you.

JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Well, yes you are correct. I had two c-sections. I also worked in the hospital and have seen tons of births. Babies born via c-section always have perfect little round heads. They don't have that trauma of a vaginal birth. As such, neither does the mother.

It's a good question and one which the pros and cons might be interesting to know.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I just want to say that my babies were both c-sections(one ER one by choice for the same reason as the first though) and both breast fed. No issues at all. Breast feeding has nothing to do with how you are born it has to do with how well informed and how out spoken the mother is. I told the nurses not to offer my children anything, they were to be strictly breast. They would be fine for 20 min while they sewed me up. If they felt the blood sugar was to low they could offer a bottle but my DH would give it.

C-sec have minimally more risk. They have different risk. I have heard of very few major issues from either side. Why dies it matter how someone else's baby comes out?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• lol. It's a women right to choose her birth contro, it's her bodyl. It's her right to choose abortion, it's her body. But by golly it should not be her right to choose how she gives birth.
    Anonymous

• C sections definitely have more risks. I had one and wished I could have had a normal birth.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• C-Sec..for medical reasons..
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 1:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Babies born by scheduled c-section without the benefits of the labor hormones are more likely to have breathing problems. And who ever said that a c-section was less trauma to the mother was only talking about her vagina. The rest of the body experiences plenty of trauma. Major surgery trauma.  GEEZS!  Rather than thinking of a c-section as being easier on the baby, you should be thinking of what a shock it is to be taken out of a warm womb with no notice and before you are ready.  Yes they have round little heads that haven't molded, but that isn't the bottom line.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't think it is easier on the baby when it does increase some health risks to the baby and reduces the chances of successful nursing.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 1:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010