Is having a C-section unsafe for the baby?

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No. Is this about the other question. I am answering a lot of c-section questions this morning! LOL! No, a c-section for a baby is actually less traumatizing than a natural birth. As far as anesthesia, no it's the same as a normal birth. However, they are all interesting questions and I am sure some studying into both would be great.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:57 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If it's accidently cut (it happened to a friend of a friend)
    Anonymous

• I think it is safer than natural deliveries in some instances, but it is not entirely with out it's issues. My niece needed to be delivered by emergency C section. She has a small scar on her knee where the doctor knicked her with the knife during the procedure.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• When I had my first c-section, it was a necessity, since my son was long-ways across the birth canal. His feet were in my stomach,and the top of his head was pressing against my backbone. He would have never been born,and he and I would have both eventually died. They put me out, and they did say the anesthetic can make them lethargic when they are first born. I don't know if he was, cause I didn't get to see him till the next day, I was in recovery for so long. But, as far as I know, the way they do them today, it's not that much of a risk, I don't believe. My daughter had both my grandbabies c-section, and I was with her when the oldest was born, and she came out screaming at the top of her lungs, moving, and had excellent apgar scores. Guess it just depends.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It is really safe,what do u mean if its' accidentally cut? U mean the baby. R u sure,I know it has never happened,the sac that the baby is in protects him/her.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• A C-sect saved my daughter's life... I had a WONDERFUL labor - the contractions weren't bad for me for 8 hours, then I finally went in, but still was able to walk in with a smile and say "HEYYY! I'm having a baby today!" They thought they were sending me home with false labor until they checked me and I was at 7cm! They told me DD would be here in 2 hours or so, but after another 8 hours of pushing and pushing and pushing, she just wasn't coming out. Then they noticed her heart rate would drop when I pushed... she had her cord wrapped around her neck!
    Now I'm preggy with my 2nd and am opting for a c-sect., mostly because they think the first problem, (before they figured out her cord was around her neck), was that I have a very small frame and they think ultimately I was having so much trouble because a 7lb baby is just too big to pass through my pelvis.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I don't personally think so. I think most doctors would push for VBAC's if that were the case. Speaking from first hand c-section experience, neither of my babies had any problems due to being born via c-section (nor did I).
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• C-section babies are at higher risk for persistent pulmonary hypertension. They are finding that the fluids left within the baby after not being squeezed out of the birth canal are possibly the cause of some common health ailments in the children right after birth or later in life. Some research has also indicated that the odds of neonatal death is higher in a planned c-section than with a vaginal birth.

Breastfeeding is often times more challenging and it's rare that the new family actually get to spend that magical hour together after they are born (when they are most awake and instinctual). i do think that this cheats the mother and baby of something essential.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/lungs/ttn.html
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 1:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It can actually be safer than a vaginal birth.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Not as safe as normal birth in healthy labors.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2010