15 year old/18 year old adult content

So there has been a bit of a scandle at my old high school (my brother goes there now). It was briefly in the news. Apperently a 18 year old (senior) got his 15 year old (freshman) girlfriend pregnant. She is 5 months pregnant, though her parents just found out and she was 14 year she got pregnant and he was def 18 at the time. He has been arrested and if convicted, he could face 10 years in prison. Do you think this is fair? I put this on TMI, I'm not sure if it really is but I thought I would put it just in case.

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Having sex is serious. And an 18 year old adult having sex with a 14 year old minor is illegal.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• no i dont think its fair. if he was 21, maybe - not 18.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Do I think that's the best way to go about it, no. These teens are having a baby and pressing charges against the dad isn't going to do anything but tear both of the families apart instead of coming together for the sake of this child.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I would assume that the parents knew that they were dating prior to the news of the baby? If so, I think that the parents are wrong. However, in the eyes of the law, it doesn't really matter.
    Even if the parents don't press charges, the state will.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• and this is why parents should make sure their babies at 14 are not going out and having sex beacuse this happens and ruins peoples lives....
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Anyone over the age of 17 and is having sex with someone under that age it is considered rape.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• He only has to do a max. of ten years. She has lost her youth and has to be a responsible mom for the rest of her life. It sounds fair to me since he knew what he was doing. If he wanted to protect them both he'd at least used protection.
    Anonymous

• Anon, what about her part in the responsibility? Shouldn't she be held accountable? And she lost her youth the second that she had sex. Unless he forced it upon her, I'd say she knew what she was getting into.
    Sorry, My devil's advocate is coming out here.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• See, this is what upsets me! Most ADULTS don't know what their state stat rape laws are, and teens don't even know there is a risk there of breaking a law. In PA, where I am, it's illegal for anyone under 16 to have sex, if ANYONE under 16 has sex their partner can be tried for stat rape and be forced to fact both jail time AND a sex offender status once they get out - which is RIDICULOUS! But what makes it worse is if BOTH parties are under 16, the male partner faces these charges, not the female... Now, in other states there is a 4 year rule, meaning that even if one party is under age, as long as they are within 4 years of one another it's legal... And then there are states where the ages are different...

Point is, most people don't know the laws, and they don't understand them. And it's ridiculous to ruin this person's life over something like this...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Sorry I ran out of room. What makes it even worse is lets say they choose to stay together, which many young couples do - his having a record and being a registered offender means he will NEVER be able to properly care for his new young family, no matter how much he wants to do the right thing.

People fight with me over and over again on this point, but THIS is exactly the reason I feel the legal age of consent needs to be lowered. Two HS students having sex should not be a crime, it happens! And since many of them are dating - with their parents OKAY - it's stupid to then have laws in place which place normal teens in prison with hardened criminals and literally ruin all chance they have of ever having a normal life again.

Should they have done things safely? Yes. Did they make a mistake? Yes! Should he go to prison for it? NO! Should he have the option to do the right thing? Yes, and with these laws, he doesn't!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2010