Soft spot closed? (question reposted for lack of answers)

The doc said my 6 month old's soft spot was almost closed and he wanted to "keep an eye on it." His head circumference is right where it should be. We are going back in six weeks to have it checked again, but I thought he was being awfully laid back about the situation. I have heard that if it closes this early he will need surgery to correct it. I am panicking! Anyone else have an early closure on a soft spot and what was the outcome?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Are the sutures fusing? Is the head not growning the proper directions (out, around, up)? If neither of those are happening then probably you won't need surgery. My son had craniosynostosis when he was born. That is where the sutures fuse before they are supposed to and the head doesn't grow correctly. His head size was off the charts, litterally and his head started looking like a football if you looked down at it. We had to go see a specialist and his did need surgery but not all do. If you are really worried about have your doctor request a CT. If their head shape and size are fine and there is no bulging anywhere then I wouldn't worry about it and just wait the six weeks and have it checked again. GL.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I have two friends that had this issue with their baby and they both needed to be corrected with surgery. I would get a second opinion.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I always read that the soft spot HAS TO close.If it doesn't close. it is not good.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010