My Daugter is 6 year's old and we have moved 2 month's ago and for whatever reason sence we've moved she has started being very smart mouth and not doing any thing i ask her i've tried everything i know to get her to stop has anyone been through anything like this

amandatyler23

Asked by amandatyler23 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well I haven't been through it but (and forgive me if this is obvious) have you tried having a heart-to-heart with her about her feelings about moving? Maybe she's acting out because she's feeling anxious or going through quiet sadness about leaving her old home. She might really appreciate some one-on-one mommy time with a loving conversation about what's going on in her heart.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Sometimes when changes are going on around a child, they start to act out because they don't know where to let their frustration out appropriately. I would just ask her if she is upset. Ask her if she wants to draw pictures or write a diary to help her to verbalize her feelings. When my daughter was a little older than yours we started a Mom and Me journal. She would ask question or tell me things she wasn't comfortable asking or telling me in person. It help a lot through her tween years and now, she is almost 16 and we have a wonderful relationship and she confides in me about most things. Good luck to you.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 2:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i agree with the other moms. she is acting out maybe out of frustration or she misses home. has she made friends at school? invite a girl each week over-maybe she misses her friends. maybe she is not fitting in,talk and see where is goes. also maybe you could find something to do with her a new highlight if you will to her new chapter in life. is there a zoo or arcade or ice cream shop or museum...something you could do together in your new home.make it fun and i am sure she will open up to you. if you feel it is a school issue. talk to her teacher. maybe she isnt happy at school. GL! or try a reward system, to encourage her to behave.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My ex-husband moved back at the end of August and our 6 yr old hasn't listened to her stepmom since. It is really sad because my kids grew up in the woods not near traffic or with neighbors with kids; Their old house was on a big lot off the road also with no neighbor kids so for them to be able to walk to a friend's house is a WHOLE new experience.

Yesterday we were on Messenger and her SM told me that she is grounded because she walked THREE streets away, without telling her, to go play at a neighbor's house. Scares the heck outta me.

It could be that your LO hears kids talking this way somewhere else and their parents don't correct them so she thinks it's appropriate; it could be her way of trying to get attention because she thinks she is not loved as much since the move because of all the things that go along with moving; try to spend a little more time w/her and let her help as much as you can.
    NEMommaOf3

Answer by NEMommaOf3 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I agree with the other moms about having a heart to heart with her. The move (and school?) may have unsettled her more than you realize. I also think she just may be pushing your buttons, that entire exploring their independence from you sometimes comes out in strange ways.

MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 5:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Find out who she's made friends with. When kids act like this out of nowhere it's usually behavior they've picked up from another kid. Case in point, when my son was about 10, his father was dating a women who had a daughter the same age. Come to find out one day, my mother is missing $20 she left on her dining room table. My son is very honest and had never, ever done something like this, so it only to a little nudge for him to cry and spill the bean on him being the thief. Since, this was completely not like him, I pushed further and he spilled that his dad's girlfriends daughter was the influence. Come to find out, it was a tag team situation because at a bday party we all were at, the mom/daughter team snuck into the bedroom where everyone had left their purses and had a field day. Needless to say, we filled in my ex husband (which is my best friend) and he dumped her asap.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Sounds like she is acting out because of the changes in her life. I would spend time talking with her about feelings and how to express them the right way. Let her know that being hateful toward others will NOT help her at all.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I agree sitting down and discussing things and helping her to find a solution is a great idea.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010