For those who think people on PA should be drug tested to receive benefits...

Some practical questions:
What percentage of PA recipients do you think actually use illegal drugs (remember, this includes all retirees who get aid, and all children in the program)?
How much do you think it would cost per person to test, analyze, record and maintain the records?
How many people do you think would have to be employed by the government to handle all of the testing nationwide?
How many people do you think are receiving PA in total?
How many times per year do you think they should have to be tested?
What portion of the household do you think should be tested (both parents, only one parent, both parents and all children - what if the child is also a parent and there are 3 generations in the home)?

After answering all those questions, do you still think it would be cost effective to require the testing?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Thank you!

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• people just like to flap their lips without thinking about what all goes into things like you have stated.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Eh, I think it would probably level out...the cost recovered from those that are using and are no longer eligeable vs. the cost of supporting the effort.
    Either way, I still feel that it should be done. Eventually enough individuals will realize that they can be denied and will either drop off of the radar (hopefully get a job) or they will quit using.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Perhaps they should be tested and if they are found using, they should be given the help they need to get clean. Drug use is a disease and it should be treated as such. No one grows up wanting to be a drug addict.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• The answers to those questions are precisely why I don't think they should have to be drug tested.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Jade and tootoo, did you even bother to think about any of the questions, or are you just regurgitating the same answer you give in any generic PA drug testing question?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Wow you are right look at how many jobs that would create!! They would have to open up more labs in order to get test everyone (once a month IMO) and just think maybe some of those people who need assistance could work there and then THEY would no longer need assistance!! My husband has to be drug tested at his work, and when I worked (before SAHM) I was randomly tested at my job so I really don't see what the big deal is. I never had a problem with it since I had nothing to hide and so naturally I think that the only people who would have a problem with it are the people doing the drugs. The cost would be high to start with but it WOULD level out like Jademom said. The cost isn't in running the tests, the cost is in buying the equipment.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I also think that each individual state should cover it's own costs-not federally run.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I never said that every single person on public assistance needs to be tested, but it should be limited to welfare, WIC, food stamps, and other related programs where families are needing help feeding their minor children! AND, I said that the testing should be RANDOM, and KNOWN to the applicant upon applying for said cash benefits. I'm pretty confident that if someone knows they are using illegal substances, they will not apply and figure out a way to get clean and use that money on their children--as it should be!

From my experiences, I've had former employees come to me looking for jobs when I had hiring power at new companies. When I told them of the drug testing requirement, I never heard from them again! I recently suggested to a neighbor needing extra cash, she become a substitute teacher, but when she learned of the fingerprinting and background check required, she said "she couldn't go through with it!" Wonder why?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• there are also different levels of govt. assistance and that should be taken into account as well.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2010