Is it normal for my 9 month old to start refusing being spoon fed completely, and to only self feed herself?

She has been eating 1 to 3 meals of cereal or gerber baby food for 4 to 5 months, and for the last two weeks she won't let me near her mouth with a spoon. she waves her arms, shakes her head, and yells.

MEandTheKid

Asked by MEandTheKid at 1:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it's normal. Just give her foods she can self feed with her hands.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son started at about that age too, the only time he lets me spoon him is when we are eating too and he wants what we are having
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• yes
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 1:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Totally normal! No more mush on a spoon for her, she wants the good stuff from now on!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• very normal and do allow her to do it herself, she is wanting to be independent.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It is normal. Give her foods that are easy and less messy to feed herself at first.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• yes my dd is doing the same thing! so annoying!! im just giving her table food now! we had mac and cheese today she loved it!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Yes, that's very normal! Sounds like she's ready for some finger foods. My daughter did the same thing around 9 months so I started her with soft foods like cooked veggies, pasta, breads, cheerios, crackers, cookies, cheese, bananas etc things that were easy to chew, she loved it.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2010