How do you keep bananas from going bad?

Mipsy

Asked by Mipsy at 1:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Eat them within a few days. They don't "go bad", they just get overripe.Then you can make banana bread! ;-)
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• You can put them in the refridgerator. The inside will be fine but the skin will turn black
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If they start getting over-ripe, peel and put them in a ziplock bag and freeze, great for smoothies, banana bread or banana cake, banana cookies.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Banana Bread
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 cup (2 sticks) butter
    2 cups sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 cups mashed banana (about 5-6)
    1 teaspoon vanilla or rum flavoring
    1 cup chopped nuts (I usually use pecans, but macadamia nuts are really good)
    Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour two loaf pans. In medium mixing bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add nuts. Set aside. In large microwave bowl, melt butter. Add sugar and beat, using electric mixer, till well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each.

SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• continued:
    .
    Add bananas and vanilla or rum flavoring, and mix well. Fold in flour mixture and nuts; blend just until flour is moist. Divide batter evenly between the two pans. Bake 45 minutes or until center of loaf is firm and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
    I have changed this recipe over the years until I got it just the way I wanted it. Quick and easy and the results are delicious. I have often served it sliced thin and made into tea sandwiches with cream cheese as the filling (sometimes mixed with mashed bananas, or crushed pineapple is also good) This is a good accompaniment for a fruit salad.
    SweetLuci

• Thank you SweetLuci!
    Mipsy

Comment by Mipsy (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My Mom swears by the "green bags", but she also puts a paper towel in the bottom to absorb the moisture and not to have to dry it out every day.
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• seperate them and keep them in a cool but not cold spot. hanging them on a banana hanger can sometimes help if it is in a cool spot. i do not keep mine in the kitchen or they ripen faster.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 3:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Fridge as soon as you see the brown spots starting. The rest of the peel turns brown but the inside stops ripening at whatever point it was at when you refrigerate them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Last week I did something different with the bananas I bought. I bought chocolate dip, melted it, slice a banana in two, put it on a stick, dipped it in chocolate and put them in the freezer. They were so good!!!
    CatPaws2

Answer by CatPaws2 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010