How do you feel about parent's calling their kids............

Do do you feel about parents calling their children brats. Mostly young children, like 2 and younger (especially like newborns).

Mipsy

Asked by Mipsy at 1:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• a little young.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It depends on how they say it. My mom used to refer to us as monsters, but she said it with a tone of affection. A friend of mine says He has to go home to his brat (13 months old) but he says it so lovingly, that you know he doesn't mean that he thinks his child is a brat. I think some people are just too sensitive.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Guess it depends on how they use it... We call our kids all kinds of things, but jokingly, never to be mean... If they are using it in a way that's nasty or negative it doesn't matter if they say brat or something more obscene, they shouldn't say it, it's just nasty. But if they are using the term jokingly or more tongue & cheek, I don't see anything wrong with it... As with anything else, it's what is meant by it rather than the words themselves...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I agree with layh. I've known parents who called their kids little shits, monsters, etc., but they say it in a really loving way. I think it's kind of funny. I don't think I've done it, but it doesn't bother me to hear it unless the parent is saying it in a really angry or some other negative tone of voice.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Depends on the tone and how it is worded ... if said out of anger/resentment/hostility it is abuse but said in a jokingly funny way and the kid understands your joking then it isn't such a big deal
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Brats? The word is kinda harsh. I guess I have never thought of babies ot toddlers being brats.Maybe a teen who sasses and shows defiance might be called a "brat". But it still just sounds dumb to say it.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Also/....calling a kid---even in a joking way ---a little shit? Now that is just plain gross. I'm sorry but that teaches them a bad word and some inappropriate ways to behave. YOU are the role model,you know.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I do not like it even if its said in a loving way.
    I feel it may lead a child to believe this...like some of my cousins have always referred to their children as 'bad' when they are just being children and than they (their children) have told them later when they grew up the reason why they chose to do certain things is cause of all the times they were told they were 'bad' even when it was not meant in a way to bring them down
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I agree, if it's used affectionately than it's fine. I have lots of nicknames for my ds & if I meant them literally they'd sound kind of mean. I've been known to call him my little monster (short for cookie monster), my little pumpkin head, Goose (short for silly goose), and the one he hates which is what I usually call him ... Markalicious (his name is Marc).
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 1:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• it would depend on how it's used... I use to call my daughter my little "Butt".. lol. (she had a crooked butt when she was born and it ws the cutest thing, but she's obviously outgrown it).

But I said it in a loving affectionate way. Not in a way meant to degrade her.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2010