Bedtime for my 2 1/2 yr old son is a little later than most but....

We usually eat dinner at 730 or 8 then get my son ready for bed by 930.. then we read him books etc. so he usually doesnt actually go to sleep till 10pm and wakes up 730 or 8ish. By the time he actually falls asleep at naptime its around 3pm and he sleeps till 530 or 6pm. Most of my kids friends are in bed by 9pm for sure. Do you all think this is a problem?? He is getting the 12-13 hours of sleep most people say kids need... so do I need to change something or is it okay. It just fits me and my husbands busy schedule and we are night owls so we do a lot of things between 6 and 9pm when most people are getting their kids ready for bed already.
thoughts?

proudtxmom22

Asked by proudtxmom22 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I put my son to bed between 9-10pm all the way until he started school.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• U need to get him to bed like about 9. asleep at that time. A friend of mine let her son stay up late when he was that age and he gave her a real hard time getting up for school. I told her she needs to give him an earlier bedtime and she did and to this day there r no more problems.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If it fits your schedule, then leave it alone. Until he starts school, or it causes other issues, why change it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It's not a problem, but from my experience, it could be later. Because of DH's work schedule, we let him stay up till 11, he woke at 9, then when it was time to start kindergarten, we had a big problem getting him adjusted.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• if it works for your family, then dont worry about it...our schedule is very similar to yours. my 1 1/2yr old doesnt go to bed until around 10pm and wakes up around 7am. then he takes a 2hr nap mid day anywhere between 11am and 5pm just depending on what he's doing that day. everyone tells me im crazy to let him stay up that late, but if he goes to bed earlier, he is up by 5am and that does NOT work for me lol!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 1:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think if he's getting the sleep he needs then what's the problem? I'd try to change it closer to whatever his school schedule would be as he gets older, but that's a little down the road.
    My girl is the same age, and I'm having a problem on the OTHER end of the spectrum... since the time change, especially, she's been ready and asking to go to sleep at 6pm!!! I try to have her stay up later because then that means she's up at 5am!! She usually WILL NOT take a nap... last night she was out by 6:30 and was up at 6 but I brought her in the bed with me and she didn't wake until 8. So that was better... anyway she's getting the sleep she needs too but it's just so darn early!!! *yawn*.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• my 2 1/2 old son takes a shower around 730 pm or so and falls a sleep by 8
    and some times he takes napes and some times he dont
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If it works, why upset it? Your family's schedule should be your determining factor not someone elses.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If it works for your family then that is all that matters. My 2 1/2 yo goes to bed at 7 and gets up between 7-9 a.m. depending on the day. She also takes a 2-3 hour around 1. Mine just seems to need more rest than others. If this works for you then that is what you do.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think if it works for you, then go with it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2010