Should I go to the emergency room? Responses will be appreciated.

Obviously my Dr.'s office isn't open today bc it's Sunday, but I'm having really, really bad pain in my left arm from my elbow to my fingertips. It feels like something is cutting off circulation. It's as if I'm getting my blood pressure taken or something. I suppose it could be a muscle or bone pain, but it really doesn't feel like that. I'm a little concerned that it could be a blood clot or something like that. Am I gonna look ridiculous going in there because my arm hurts? I always feel stupid going if it's not really an emergency. My husband says I need to go, but IDK. What do you think?

Btw, I'm 26 and in good health with no previous circulation problems at all. I have no other symptoms other than this pain in my arm.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 1:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Health

• does your office have a number you can call first? like an advice line? i would call there and see what they say. if not then go to the ER
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• How is your coloring?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• In your arm I mean.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I agree call your nurse line, usually it will be listed when you call your clinic after hours. Or call the ER, they will ask you a bunch of questions and determine whether you should be seen. Also does it feel sleepy? I sometimes get this and it's because of a pinched nerv. The ulnar I believe.
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 2:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If you think you should go - GO. Just like a question, it's only stupid if you don't ask !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I have carpal tunnel syndrome, and sometimes the pain can feel like that. However, I agree with the above poster that you can never be too careful. If you are worried, just go.
    BraniOut

Answer by BraniOut at 2:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• But if you take birth control pills, it could very well be a blood clot. I would go. If the pain is intense enough that it interrupts your day, yes go.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Yep. Go in. They usually don't take circulatory system concerns lightly.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 2:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• go in
    and after you find it was nothing, then laugh at yourself
    if not, Murphy's Law says, it is something seroius and if you do not go in, then you will not be able to laugh at yourself

go in
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Thanks ladies. It's gotten a little better. I think I'll go when my husband gets home if it's not better. The coloring is fine, it isn't swollen, and I don't take birth control. Thanks for your responses!
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010