Is 18 months too early to introduce potty training?

my daughter is obsessed with wiping the outside of her diaper when she poos (its how we for sure know she went) and she also is obsessed with the toilet and you going to the bathroom. My mom thinks we should start but I know nothing about how to go about this yet. Any advice or good books on it?

randibosin

Asked by randibosin at 2:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she's showing interest, keep encouraging that interest. You can try to get her to sit on the potty but don't force anything.
    I honestly don't think you have to DO anything different. If she asks to go potty, bring her to it and let her sit. Clap and tell her 'good job' just for sitting, even if she doesn't go. Start a routine. Pick one or do them all. Wake up, go to the potty. Before a nap - go to the potty. Before a bath - go to the potty. Before bed - go to the potty.

My 3 older kids started actually peeing in the potty at 27 mos. Before that, they would sit, but nothing came out.
    My 4th is 21 mos now, and he says 'potty' and goes into the bathroom, wants to be stripped down, and will stand in front of it (like his brothers) but nothing ever comes out. I just tell him 'good boy' for doing that.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 10:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It depends on the child. My daughter was completly potty trained at 18 months. My son was about 2 1/2 before he was completly trained. He was fine during the day, but still wore pull ups to bed.
    Maryellen

Answer by Maryellen at 2:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Get out the potty and get her started on the idea I know alot of little girls who potty train early
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• not at all...we started taking one of ours to the toilet at 10mo since she couldn't walk herself. :)
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 2:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• No. My son was 20 months when he started to pee in the potty. He is now 27 months and the only problem he has is with pooping, he holds it in....but my niece is the same age as my son and she is much better. Can't hurt to start trying.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• nope. I actually introduced both my girls at 10.5 - 11 months and started potty training 12 months. Both my girls were trained before 2. One was 19 months the other was almost at 16 months until she got sick so we had to back off so she ended up being 21 or 22 months
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My daughter is 18 months and we are going to start potty training this month. I say, give it a shot. And if she doesnt show any interest, I will try again in a few weeks.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I know of some little girls who were trained this early. Google "toilet training" and there are several good links. Also there are great, cute, books to read to your child about using the potty. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We started at 18 months.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 6:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• it never hurts to try... and she'll let you know... my niece is 19 months and fully potty trained... it is really up to the child... my son is now 2 and i'm trying to potty train him now... but it's only for the fact that he is showing more intrest in it.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 9:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2010