has your child been diagnosed with Failure to thrive?:(

My 4th son, who is 61/2 mo. was diagnosed with failure to thrive last wednesday. I was heartbroken. I have exclusively breastfed him since birth. His pediatritian wanted me to start solids a month ago, but he refuses anything ive tried. He was born at 8lbs 3oz and now only weighs 12lbs 11oz. I am very concerned about his health. I didnt do anything different with him than i did with my other 3 boys so its puzzling to me. The doctor drew blood to see if its something medical or has to do with his metabolism. I am having an OT and dietition come in to help out with feeding; I will be getting milk fortifier to help get my milk to be higher in calories. Has anybody else experienced this and what was the outcome? I am very worried and feel like im doing something wrong, i just dont know what to do.

team21

Asked by team21 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd was close to being labeld that. Once at the hospital the day we were leaving, she had lost too much weight after birth. Then again at a check up around 2-3 months. They had been concerned all along because she wasnt gaining....I have no idea why she was attached to am all the time, I guess it was a supply issue. We offered a bottle with BM and formula and she took it right away. BF pretty much ended with in the week,. but I think it is what was best in our situation.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• David will hopefully take a bottle with the milk fortifier in it. So far i cant get him to take a bottle with pumped milk in it, but that is what the OT is working with us on. He did "chew" on a bottle called Breastflow with nothing in it so thats a start!
    team21

Comment by team21 (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Maybe try to put the pumped/fortified milk into one of those supplementation systems that goes around your neck and attaches to the breast area. That way he can "nurse" and get the supplements.

BTW, my DD was 8 lbs at birth and only 13 at 6 months. She nursed well and ate anything. Her metabolism must have been high. She was less than 5th percentile until she was 5. From 7-8 she gained 11 lbs and shot up to average. Now, at 11, she is on the taller side. Her brothers, who were severe reflux babies, were never small like she was. It just might be something that he will be on the smaller side.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son was diagnosed last year. Weight gain is a serious struggle that we still deal with every single day, but with nutritional support we are slowly getting him bigger! He started on PediaSure the week of his first birthday, and quickly put on a lot of weight. But he got sick with a stomach virus a few months ago and lost 2 pounds. That is a A LOT to lose when you're only 2! I think my situation may be different because my son was a preemie, but either way, just know that there is help! Oh! And we did a swallow study because my son was choking sometimes and had a lot of upper respiratory infections. Turns out he has a moderate case of dyspagia, and now that his liquids get thickened he is already gaining. He just got weighed on the 8th and he is 25 lbs 8 oz! He finally made it onto the growth chart, he's in the 7th percentile! Good luck with your baby!
    Christy_517

Answer by Christy_517 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My DD was labeled this at her 9 month visit. She had not grown or gained in 3 months. She was EBF for 6.5 months then started getting some food and supplement a formula when needed (I was working and pumping.) The doctor had us give her concentrated formula (only when she normally got it) and look for high calorie infant foods to feed her. She was just starting finger food so that helped us a lot. She had to be re weighed every week for a while to prove our changes had her gaining weight. She was. Not as much as they wanted but she was gaining. they decided after a few months she was just small! She is still small at practically 3 and only 25 pounds and in 24 month clothes! You'll be fine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We have the same issue with our dd, she is 10 months old and not on the growth chart at all any more. It isn't that she's losing weight, she just isn't gaining it very quickly at all. The most she's gained in a month since she was 4 months old is 6 ounces. She has to be weighed monthly to track her weight and make sure that she doesn't start losing weight and to track her length and head circumference. Since she is still growing in length and head circumference normally she hasn't been diagnosed FTT, but she's close. We found out through trial and error that a big part of the problem was her irregular bowel movement schedule, she can go 5+ days without one, which for an EBF baby is normally no big deal, but for her it causes her to eat less. Once we got her on a normal BM schedule she started eating more and gaining weight better. A few things that her nutritionist and GI doc have us doing to help her gain weight are:
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Adding olive oil to her veggies, so even if she only eats a little she gets a lot of calories. We add about 1/4 teaspoon per 4oz of pureed veggies. Add formula powder to cereal made with breastmilk, just a sprinkle for a little extra calories and nutrition. You can also feed the breastmilk with fortifier through an open cup, it's a little messy at first but they pick it up quickly and it works better than a bottle for a EBF baby. Offering finger foods between nursings can help, diced banana and avocado are great high calorie options.
    If you have any questions feel free to PM me, we are going down the same road and I would be happy to help any way I can. Hang in there :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• FTT is more than just weight. Milestones are more important... how's he doing there?

Google this: Look At The Baby, Not The Scale. I think that article will help.

Keep in mind that solids can interfere with gain... they are less caloric than breastmilk. How is your breastfeeding management? Are you feeding on demand? You might try block nursing... only one breast for a three hour period, only the other for the next three hours. Leave him on the breast as long as he wants to be there, and I'd offer every two hours at a minimum.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• my oldest was diagnosed with this during her first year and the doctors didnt remove it till she was four when they realized she really just is a tiny person. they ran tons of tests on her and even accused me of not feeding her at one point. she will be 7 in january and only weighs 39lbs, and her height is still down there (cant seem to remember the number at the moment) overall she is only in the 6th percentile. dont freak yourself until the tests come back, some kids are just smaller than others. she was ebf till 7 months (she self weaned due to me being 3months pregnant) and she was still having the right amount of diapers a day.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2010