How do you plan your holiday spending?

Do you budget a certain amount per child/family member or just find things that they will like and go from there?

If you do budget, how much do you spend per child/family member?

Erica912

Asked by Erica912 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Holidays

• I try and budget for gifts but never seems to work. This year I can only afford to get stuff for my daughter and husband.
    jkrout25

Answer by jkrout25 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My Dh is an on call firefighter and he/they only get paid once a yr at Christmas time (first weekend of Dec) and
    whatever that is is what I use for Christmas shopping... I pretty much know what I am getting everyone and will
    do all of my shopping the following week and be done.. with (most often) a few $'s left.... or for last minute items...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We do not buy gifts, we stopped years ago. No tree, no decorations, just a nice family dinner with great conversation, maybe a family game or two. So much fun to just celebrate family. Christmas have become so commercial it is overwhelming. No stress, no bills its all good.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• trees,decorations and spend time with family and friends and will buy gifts i do my own thing either i do or i don't never felt like i was being pressured
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 4:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I first pay all my bills, then figure how much I can spend without going into debt. I do not buy per child based on price my teenagers 50 dollars would get them one thing, versues the little kids that 50 would buy them several. I get the same number of gifts for each child. I normally start planning in Oct.
    momofthree109

Answer by momofthree109 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I start early, and buy weekly. I look at the sales papers for the week and see if there is anything that catches my eye, if so thats what I get, if not I usually get somehting I know someone really wants.I also try to save a little from my tax return in a Christmas club. I didnt budget this year per person, this is my first year with more than one kid, but my youngest is only 4 months, so hers was more for show for the 8 year old. I dont know how I will work it next year, but I am leaning towards the same amount spent on each, but with such an age gap I dont know how well that will work in years to come. I guess I will have to play it by ear!
    endurablemist

Answer by endurablemist at 7:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010