wisdom teeth.. do u still have yours?

i'm 21 and i still have my wisdom teeth and i'm trying to decide whether or not to keep them. i've been hearing that it's procedure to have them removed.. then i'm hearing that you don't really need to remove them if they aren't bothering you.. and etc. etc. etc... do you guys still have your wisdom teeth?? opinions and comments welcomed

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 3:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Health

• i have 2. i had 2 pulled right in the office, it was easy. the other 2 are going to have to go too though some time. i did not know the top ones were causing me problems until they were gone and my problems were gone too.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 3:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I had oral surgery to remove all 4 when I was 18. They were digging into my jaw and causing a lot of pain. I wouldn't get them removed unless they are causing issues...it hurts like hell recovering from that. Stitches in your mouth...ouch.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I had mine removed when I was 18. The top ones were bothering me a lot and the bottom ones were removed too, I am not sure why. Now I would guess the doc just wanted more money, because they weren't bothering me at all and he had to break them and dig them out because they were still buried under the gums.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I have one left. They left it because while I was pregnant with one of my children my teeth were in bad shape and one near the wisdom tooth broke so badly it had to be removed. :( If they were to pull that last wisdom I'd have quite the gap back there and nothing to chew with. lol

I think most people get theirs removed automatically because it is easiest to do while you're young. When you get older and your jaw bone harder around your teeth it may not go as easily. Your dentist is the one to ask about your own case. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I had all 4 removed due to the fact they didn't have enough room for them in my mouth and they caused me ALOT of Pain!!!
    If your aren't bothering you I would just keep them!
    Becnfamily

Answer by Becnfamily at 3:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I don't have wisdom teeth- I have 6 congenitally missing teeth, and 4 of them happen to be my wisdom teeth. My sis did get all of hers - they had to be surgically removed.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I still have mine- not by choice! My root on the right side is wrapped around the nerve like, 7 times, apparently rare...They said it would be MAJOR surgery to remove it, and it sucks because it is really painful but I don't have insurance :(
    mommyharmon

Answer by mommyharmon at 3:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I still have all of mine. My dentist has been wanting me to get them removed but I disagree, I see no reason why. So I guess it's just based on what all you wanna do you know, they're your teeth.
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i only had 1 wisdom tooth and i had oral surgery to have it removed when i was 29 ( i think)
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I got mine yanked when I was 19 years old. It was either have them done by a civilian where they knock me out and give me adequate pain meds or have the navy do it where I am wide awake and given six pain pills. I opted for the civilian.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2010