Questions About The ‘Harm None’ Rule

Who is included in this rule? All human beings (conception until natural death) or those who are born and healthy (not on ventilator or feeding tube)? Would abortion and assisted suicide be harming another? Why or why not?

In what way are they not to be harmed? Physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc?

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 3:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I consider harm maiming someone or causing somebody undue pain. I think harm is providing chemotherapy with no real hope for recovery. Harm is providing somebody hope when there really is non. Assisted suicide is not harming them according to my definitions. Abortion is harm...see the pain rule. Abortions are harm after the fetus has a nervous system and heartbeat..so about 21 days after conception...these are my personal opinions :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Sorry, where is this rule from?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 3:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Physicians are held to the no harm rule...it is a part of the oath they take.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• every action you take is a force of destruction and creation.. when you breath you are destroying oxygen molecules and creating carbon dioxide molecules... if destruction is considered harm, then every action a human takes and makes in this life is an act of harm. There for negating the "rule" of Harm None, to do no harm is to not exist.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 3:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Sorry, where is this rule from?

I think it's mostly a pagan thing.

flatlanderjenn

Comment by flatlanderjenn (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Physicians are held to the no harm rule...it is a part of the oath they take

That's right! I forgot about that! The Hippocratic Oath, right?
    flatlanderjenn

• It comes from the Wiccan Rede written by Doreen Valiente in 1964, although it is derived from the teachings of The Golden Dawn (AKA Aleister Crowley).

Doreen's Version was written as:

"Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill, An it harm none do what ye will"
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 3:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think it becomes an individual definition.

There are the general harm none rules that are laws of our land. But the bigger, more questionable things like you mentioned would boil down to what someone considers more harm.

Is it more harmful for a person who is obviously in daily pain to be forced to live on a ventilator because of, what could be considered, a selfish family who just doesnt wanna deal with the ugliness of death? Is having a baby that came from rape doing more harm to the already emotionally traumatized woman?

The point is to try and never intentionally harm another, including yourself. But there are gray areas and those will boil down to individual beliefs.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It's a basic rule for life, it's not a hard and fast, written in stone law... What that means is each person is going to see it a little differently. I've known people that felt if you ate meat, you were breaking that law... Generally, it's a guideline on how to live life. IF you feel your actions are harmful, then you shouldn't be doing them... If anything I see it as a reminder to think before you act, think about how your actions will or could hurt someone else and take that into account before you just jump in to something...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• oh don't even get me started on abortion or anything of the sort!!!
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 9:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2010