11 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER SUICIDAL OR JUST CURIOUS???????

AT THE DINNER TABLE LAST NIGHT MY 11 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER ASKS THE QUESTION...i WONDER WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE DEAD...

jessicabmomof5

Asked by jessicabmomof5 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think I know how you feel because just 2 weeks ago, the father of my ds's best friend called and said that my son wrote a note to his bf saying, "If I was dead, I wouldn't get into trouble". We talked to him and his bf's father also volunteered to talk to him which he did. And even though nothing has come of it, it was a "RED FLAG" for us to realize that we need to talk to our children more about whatever, whenever and for however long it takes. Bu to answer your ?, I would sit down and talk to your dd like we did and go from there. Also, it may be the age (not really sure though because my oldest is only 10 but I'm sure puberty is not far off) when kids get curious about these kinds of things.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• She may be telling you in a way that she is depressed.

ljlM

Answer by ljlM at 2:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• This is very true ljlM. I hadn't thought about that one.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You need to talk to her, try to figure out what she's feeling and thinking. Don't bombard her with a ton of questions, just let her do the talking. She needs to know that you're always going to be there for her, and that you're someone she can come to and talk to about anything. I agree with ljlM, she may be depressed and this may be her way of telling you. Try talking to her, if that doesn't help, maybe some professional help will. Good Luck!!
    Gretchen0122

Answer by Gretchen0122 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I think it depends on the context of what is going on in her life right now. She may just have said it because she was thinking deeply about what death means. Just do your best to know what is going on with her by keeping communication going.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 4:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I had a 12 year old friend whom killed himself so yes you have to get to the bottom of it. I have an 11 yr old drama queen. But her age group is tough one kids are mean find out what is going on for her.
    kitty410

Answer by kitty410 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2008