I recently switched my son from a car seat, to a booster.. but he keeps taking the seatbelt off!

My son is new to the whole booster seat thing. And ive explained to him that having the seat belt on at all times in the car keeps him safe. But he still keeps taking the seat belt off! it's getting really aggravating! how can i stop him from doing this?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 3:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Unless he can keep it on, I'd put him back in the carseat.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• He's 3 or 4? He can still be in the 5 point harness. He'll be safer and won't unlatch himself. My 6 yr old is still in the 5 point.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Yeah i was thinking that too. But besides the fact that it was about time to switch to the booster, one of the main reasons i switched him was because he kept complaining that his back hurt in the car seat. So now im in a pickle!
    exxOHjackie

Comment by exxOHjackie (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• And to orionsgirl, he'll be 4 in a month. But the 5 point harness is getting to tight on him (even at the loosest setting) ...he's a big boy! probably do to the fact that his dad is 6'7". ugh!
    exxOHjackie

Comment by exxOHjackie (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Maybe you need to look into a different booster with a 5 pt? My DD goes thru stages where she cries about her back hurting and it is always around a growth spurt.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Yeah ill definitely look into it. I didn't even think about the back hurting because of a growth spurt, it all makes sense now!
    exxOHjackie

Comment by exxOHjackie (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I agree with the others that said he should be back in a carseat. Someone mentioned looking into a booster that comes with a 5 point, I think those are more likely to be a straight back whereas a regular carseat carseat is still kind of cushy and cradling. kwim? That could help the back issue. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Immediately stop da car when he does this n be firm when u say, we keep our seatbelts ON! Use that strong mama voice. Be sure to stop wherever u are. If ur on da fwy get off at da next ramp. Let him know u mean business. My brother was about that age when the seatbelt law took effect. This worked for my mom. Same situation w my nephew. Right now I have da problem that my 2.5 yo can unclip da chest buckle. Doing da same thing til he gets it.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• He is not old enough.....

I agree with the growth spurt idea, or maybe he just knows that him telling you his back hurts gets him outta the seat and into one he can escape outta.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• You can't always pull over when this happens. Where I live there are times where there is no where to pull off. And my son didn't stop doing it, so he's back in a harnessed car seat. It's just not safe. You can tell them over and over again, it doesn't mean they all listen. Saftey comes first.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 14, 2010