how soon?

how soon after giving birth can i start exercising?

DeathBat

Asked by DeathBat at 1:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I think as long as it doesn't cause you discomfort, anytime. It's 6 weeks for sex, minimal. I think that's a good time frame. Better to be safe than sorry.
    wickdprincess

Answer by wickdprincess at 2:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You can do light stuff now, some yoga, go for a walk, go swimming. But it's best to wait until after your 6 week checkup to start anything more strenuous.
    Michele79

Answer by Michele79 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You can start immediately. Getting up and going on walks will help keep your blood flowing to recover quickly. Make sure you stay hydrated and immediately stop if you start to feel light headed. You can also continue doing kegels right after birth to help with any incontinence you might experience.
    roxy85

Answer by roxy85 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I'd check with your dr. I knew a woman who was at the gym doing a step class 2 days after giving birth!
    NovaChk

Answer by NovaChk at 8:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I generally work my ass off when it comes to working out... I really think it depends on how fit you were before and during pregnancy. I've still lifted weights, walked and done push-ups the entire time I've been pregnant (I'm not lifting anything NEAR as heavy as normal, and my doctor says I'm good since baby and me are both VERY healthy), so if you're in decent shape, you can work out as soon as you feel like it. I'm hoping to get back to it a few days after I deliver (just went and got a jogging stroller too!).
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2008