the difference of te in confucianism and Taoism

te means power, and Confucianism and Taoism share it. Both share the concept, but how do they understand it differently?

livingangle

Asked by livingangle at 1:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-24 Credits)
  • I thought yours was an interesting question. I found this:
    Taoism as a tradition has, along with its traditional counterpart Confucianism, shaped Chinese culture for more than 2,000 years. Taoism places emphasis upon spontaneity and teaches that natural kinds follow ways appropriate to themselves. As humans are a natural kind, Taoism emphasizes natural societies with no artificial institutions. Often skeptical and sarcastic on human values such as morality, benevolence and proper behavior, many Taoist writers do not share the Confucian belief in civilization as a way to build a better world. Rather, they share the will to live alone in the mountains or as simple peasants in small autarchic villages.

figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i think it's kind of like the difference between Methodism and Catholicism, for example. Both share Christ but things work differently.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• do you mind giving me the link you found this?
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 1:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• copied from online. This is the best I found "In contrast, Confucianism views te as the virtue of internal goodness and proper behaviour toward others"

GOOGLE te in Confucianism and Taoism, I found alot of info.
    FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 1:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2008