Help! I have the flu and now my hands are breaking out! What could it be?

I have had the flu for a week now, and when I woke up this morning, my fingers are all red and swollen with little raised bumps all over. I have never had anything like this before, and haven't used anything new on my hands. Anyone know what might be causing this??

lilymama03

Asked by lilymama03 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Health

• It could be that the virus got into your hands. My daughter had influenza when she was about 6, and she developed red, very painful looking blisters on 4 fingers. When I took her to the doctor, they said that the virus had gotten into her hand (a scratch maybe?), and that was what was causing the blisters.
    There are a number of things that can cause a rash, and it is important to get it correctly diagnosed.
    Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever: rash develops after several days of flue like symptoms on palms and/or ankles.
    Staphylococcal toxic shock syndrome: sunburn like rash, followed by scaly rash
    Mononucleosis: can also develop a rash on hands or abdomen
    It is important to go to a doctor for a correct diagnosis. No one here can do that for you.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• you should go see a doc right away to see what it could be
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Have you ever had chicken pox?
    roxy85

Answer by roxy85 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes I had Chicken Pox my mom said when I was around 6, so thank god I can rule that out! The bump are raised kind of like hives, but it feels like there is pressure around the bumps and they are very painful and my hands are very achy.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• might be hand foot and mouth disease. a fairly common viral infection. any sores in your mouth?
    mjoax

Answer by mjoax at 10:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2008