Getting my 2 1/2 yr old to nap!! arrrg

my 2 1/2 yr old son .. needs to nap if he doesnt he doesnt eat good at dinner etc. so i have been laying in his room.. until he sleeps. but it is starting to stress me out.. sometimes he takes foreeeeever to fall asleep like 45 mins to 1 hr some days. But i know he is tired... what do i do??

on the other hand there are days he takes 15 mins or falls asleep on the way home at nap time..

help.. I am almost 7 months pregnant and dont want to be stressed but this is stressing me out.

thanks!

proudtxmom22

Asked by proudtxmom22 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh and once he falls asleep he sleeps like 2 1/2 hrs.. a sign to me that he Does still need to be napping.
    proudtxmom22

Comment by proudtxmom22 (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• How about just making it quiet time rather than nap time. Put in a movie and tell him that he must lay there quietly until it's over. Chancees are that he will be out before the movie is over.

The down side to laying down with him is that you are encouraging him to stay awake unless mommy lays down too.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I guess he's like me with the movie thing and falling asleep... he will not fall asleep during a movie no matter how tired. he makes himself stay awake till its over.. he is also not one to just fall asleep somewhere like on the couch or floor.. only in his bed at designated times. :/
    proudtxmom22

Comment by proudtxmom22 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Does he still go to bed at a reasoanble hour? If not, he may be ready to give up his nap. My two gave up their naps at age 2. I would try the quiet time idea too. No videos, have him just play quietly in his room or look at books.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Car rides, stroller rides, going to the park and music to listen to when they napped all were great ways to get them to fall asleep .
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I always read my 2 year old a story, then put her in her bed. Sometimes I can hear her up there pattering around and playing, but most of the time she just looks at books in her bed til she falls asleep. Either way we both get a break :)
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 7:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son is 2-1/2 and sometimes he naps and sometimes not. I usually put him in his room with quiet things to do and let him play quietly either until he naps or until I feel like he's not going to nap and has had enough quiet time. It's just a phase he's going through, but I wouldn't lay down until he went to sleep because then he'll get used to it and it will be hard for you to break that habit especially when the new one arrives. Good luck!
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Is he getting enough activity during the day, if he's not he may not be tired enough to fall asleep. When I ran my daycare, I would rub their back and this relaxes them, maybe play some soft music too.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 8:15 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• change his schedule
    gklmommy

Answer by gklmommy at 4:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2010