How do you feel about parents that can't control their child? Children that walk all over them.

Why does it seem like so many parents are letting their children run all over them? They are children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• One in 70 boys now has a form of Autism. That's only one disorder and there are several. Stop judging. There's your answer. You don't know, nor should you know, what a stranger is going through or criticizing their parenting without knowing them. Empathize. Try putting yourself in every possible scenario and try to imagine how you would feel if your child acted out and they had a disorder and they had people like you sitting, staring and judging you.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. i don't know their situations and i can't be the judge and jury for the way they are raising their kids. i just need to focus on raising mine. but my mother had my brother very late in her life and he is 5 now. i hate the way they are letting him walk all over them. he's their only boy AND he's the youngest so it's like a disaster. he doesn't go to sleep until 2 a.m. when he wants to.. cries all over the store when they're out and they don't punish him AT ALL! i just feel so mad, but that's because he's family.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 4:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I feel Society has said Don't punish your kids it is child abuse, the parents that are passive realize this and the kids realize this and voila, problem children. Society needs to wake up and realize that kids are not going to melt and be traumatized because of a spanking, or going to bed without supper.
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 4:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I agree that society has made it seem that discipline is wrong, even though it's a loving thing. Your training your child to be a better person. Some people just wont do it. I dont think you need to even spank a child but the child needs to knwo who is in charge. That way they can respect authority when they get older.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I really hate these questions because they verify my feeling that people are judging me when I am out with my son and he has a melt-down or isn;t handling the situation well. He has a form of HFA and I always feel like crap when he is having a melt-down in public and I am trying to calm him down or I am restraining him to keep him form running. I get the feeling that all eyes are on me and everyone watching is judging my parenting skills on something neither one of us can help. We are both working on it. But some kids, no matter how much therapy and active parenting their is involved will never totally learn to adapt to some situations. I do not ever judge a person parenting skills bases on a childs behavior because you NEVER KNOW what that child's challenges may be. If you saw my son on a good day he looks and acts like a normal child with a few quirks and maybe a little immature but if you see him when he is over
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• stimulated he looks like a BRAT. He can't help it though. Heh as no idea how to handle himself when it gets to loud or to busy. He may learn someday but for now I hope to Good not everyone around thinks I am a push over parent.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I've read a lot of comments on cafemom with parents who want to know how to hadle there children who use foul language or wont listen to them even throwing things at there parent.They dont want there child to throw a fit or cry so they give in.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Sweety I work with autistic children and I never met an autistic child that uses foul language with there parents so dont go there with me. I knwo the difference in a child that rules the house and a child that has mental problems.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• YOu can't possibly know that EVERY TIME. Noon eis THAT good. In fact most people don't even know there is anything wrong with my PDD-NOS/ODD/ADHD child. They are surprised to here he is delayed. If you ever saw him being symptomatic, it look s like I have lost all control and to be honest sometimes I think I have but it is what it is and we will all have to cope. Including the judgmental people.
    Anonymous