Does your child have ADD? Does he/she take meds?

My six year old has ADD. At least that is what his neurologist said. He told me Sam will probably have to take it soon. Not too excited about it. I can't remember the name of the drug but I did some research on it over the summer and one of the side effects are suicidal thoughts. Teachers conferences are this month. Will see what they have to say.
What meds does your child take? Does it help? Have they had other meds in the past that didn't work?

horsesteelers

Asked by horsesteelers at 4:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would talk to his teachers and see what they can suggest as far as helping him to adapt. What tools can they offer to help him to stay on task. I am requesting my son spend more time in the Spc. Ed room for a while since he works better in there. Time will tell. I personally am not ready to do meds yet. I feel like there are to many other things to put into action and try first. If you feel it is time. You know best.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son is Asperger's with ADHD tendencies. His teacher all but asked us to put him on meds. I refuse. My son is 6. Inattention is to be expected. Hyperactivity is just how he is. I will not medicate my child at this age. There are to many other things that can be done. We are working on teaching him to adapt. Working at home on working independently on work. Focusing on his reading. He has an IEP so the Spc. Ed teacher at the school is helping as well. If you have a diagnosis have yo looked into an IEP or does he have one?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Don't let the school bully you into something you aren't ready for. DOn;t rule it out as a 'never' but now may not be the time. He is still young.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son is 15 and one of his diagnoses is ADHD-Combined Type (meaning he is both inattentive & hyperactive) and he is not on any prescription medications specifically to treat ADHD. We use behavioral modification & supports to help him cope with the symptoms, plus diet changes to help reduce symptoms. Between them, he is doing well and making excellent progress in school w/o the use of ADHD medications. While I do not rule out their use, I prefer to start with the least invasive interventions & work my way up to more restrictive ones, like meds, only as absolutely necessary.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• He does have IEP. The teachers haven't suggested meds. The Doc did. He does have problems staying on task. Works better one on one instead of large groups. He has been going to school very young. He was in a special needs school for 4 yrs. b/c of cerebal (ms) palsy and now in regular school from preschool-K.
    horsesteelers

Comment by horsesteelers (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My friend has a son w/this & he is on med's for it & it does seem to help him
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son has been taking Focalin for 2 yrs. He is doing great in school but I did not tell the school bc I did not want him to be labeled. I wanted him to be treated like any other kid in school so if you decide to put your son on meds just watch for signs my son only takes his medication M-F no weekends no holidays no summer start off with a low dose and go from there. To be honest with you I believe WE all have some kind of ADHD or ADD or whatever it is it's all the same to me. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Well, I don't know what to do. I'm afraid of the side effects. When my nephew was younger when he was home his dad didn't really give it to him but when he went to his mom's she always did b/c she couldn't control him.
    horsesteelers

Comment by horsesteelers (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Well, if you don't know what you want to do then right now do nothing. Talk to his teachers to see what they suggest. research the drugs you ped was recommending. In my case I am giving my DS a little more time to mature and learn better work habits by trial and error. If nothing else you can start the meds and take him off if you aren't comfortable with the results. Just keep in mind there are a lot of drugs on the market so find the 'right' one could take time to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son was diagnosed at 10 years old and was on meds for 4 years and they helped a LOT. He went from getting D's and F's to A's and B's. He was able to concentrate and stay on task. At 14, he stopped taking them and did OK in school, but has been asking to go back on them because he can't concentrate and it's affecting his grades and self esteem. He was on Ritalin, Concerta, Vyvanse and back on Concerta.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2010