Can CPS take your kids if you are not willing to have a meeting with them without a witness?

CPS is involved with my family due to a spanking my 11 yr old son received for sneaking and stealing. Due to stress brought on by CPS DH and I had a fight that resulted in me getting shoved and the kids and I staying somewhere else for the night. The next morning I found out that DH was in jail because he told cops about pushing me. CPS forced me to sign a restraining order without informing me that there was already one in place because of bond conditions. After I dropped the one I had signed b/c there was no need for 2 and my attorney advised me to they got mad. They have lied many times saying I told them that he had hit me with his fist and pulled me around by my hair and that a friend told them that DH had left bruises on me in the past and all kinds of stuff. I recorded them saying this (which they do not know about) but they say they never said any of it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• When I told them I wanted to be allowed to have a witness present at meetings they claimed they were going to take the kids for refusing to work with them. I am working with them, I just want a witness with me to hear some of the things they are saying.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I don't think they'll take your kids away for that, but it will not look good on your case. Won't help you at all, it will make things harder. Why arent you willing to have a meeting without a witness? Wouldn't you rather a witness be there if CPS is taking back their claims?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I DO want a witness. They don't want me to have one.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Talk to your lawyer about that. I don't know the CPS laws in your state, they vary. But, usually a judge is the person who decides whether or not the kids are being taken away. CPS can make a report, but they have to convince a judge that twking the kids out of the home is what is best for them.

They cannot just take your kids away without an order from a judge.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Takinf not twking...
    samurai_chica

• I don't want to have a meeting without one because they are always making threats and saying I said things in meetings I did not say. When they are confronted about it they lie and claim to have never made the threats or said what they did. I just want a second set of ears.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• wow thats crazy cps sucks sometimes.. im so sorry about what your going thru and I dont think cps can take your kids for that but i dont know
    shelly2226

Answer by shelly2226 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I agree with Samurai chica, talk to your attorney and see if he/she can go with you to these meetings
    let CPS know this.
    I don't think they can just take your kids away for wanting a witness with you...
    you do have to go in front of a Judge with any CPS case...
    And I do understand your worries, we were going thru a custody fight to keep our grandson bc his bio mother wasn't
    fit (my dd) and CPS acted like asses to me and my dh and even tho we did win the case, CPS made it almost impossible
    for my dd and her then husband to even comply bc of all that they wanted them to do...
    CPS I have learned likes to tweak the system and they DO NOT think in the best interest of the children in a lot of cases...

Good Luck and TALK TO YOUR ATTORNEY....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• What better witness than your own attorney? He is being paid to advocate for you. You most certainly can have your lawyer present.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Last week they called and wanted a meeting. I told them I needed to see if my witness could be there and that was when they claimed I was refusing to work with them. I was told to respond back in 10 minutes or they were filing the orders to take the kids. Then when I did meet with them they made me sign a paper saying DH would have no contact with any of the kids. He can't have contact anyway due to bond conditions, but now even if those are dropped in court he can not see or speak to the kids.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2010