Are there any amatuer herbalist in here?

I'm a recovering script addict but still have trouble sleeping and recently discovered herb and which one does what and started playing with different mixes to try to help me sleep. Anybody have a good one in here that they swear by to help them sleep? What herbs does it consist of and the mixture amounts? Thanks

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 4:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Health

• There is this blend called, "Super Snooze" out there- you can find it at Vitamin World, or www.puritan.com (cheaper at puritan but same company.) It works amazingly... it contains valerian root, hops, scullcap, chamomile, passion flower, calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide, phosphorus, inositol, L-taurine, and melatonin.... It knocked me OUT! The only thing is I had very vivid dreams due to the melatonin in it... I don't take it too terribly often because it works so very well, but when I do, I sleep like a baby... If you can find a blend without the melatonin, let me know... you can also go and see how many mgs of each thing are on the bottle and make your own mix too! Hope this helps!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 11:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I know valarean root is very calming. My sister used to take it for anxiety. I know lots about botany & horticulture, but i'm not too sure what all the herbs do for you.

Have you tried melatonin? Or some benadryl?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Actualy benadryl is much better & has much less side effects. Melatonin is not natural like most people think. It's a SYNTHETIC hormone created in a lab.

The thing about hormone replacements, is that if you take too much of it, you run the risk of making your body unable to produce it's own. So, if you took too much melatonin then your brain will nto makes it's own, making it even harder to sleep at night.

Benadryl has been around for ages & has been studies forever. They know there is no long, or short term side effects. You can even give your dogs benadryl. There is no long term side effects & it's not addictive, Contrary to popular belief....benadryl is safer to take if you need it every night than melatonin is.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Melatonin is good...benadryl is not.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Comment by ShouldHaveLeft (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• No I don't take either but benadryl on a regular basis can cause your liver enzymes to read abnormal and cause long term problems while melatonin on the other hand doesn't.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Comment by ShouldHaveLeft (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• You have to take a very high does & on a regular basis for benadryl to even come close to effecting your liver. ANYTHING taken in excess will effect your liver, including things as simple as salt.

The studies done on the side effects of benadryl, were done with copius amounts of it....

Phycopharmacologist here...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I have heard good things about melatonin, but it does not work for me.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• well the best thing to take to help you sleep is melatonin....the best. my bf has insomnia and this helps him a lot.
    KheiyahIsLife

Answer by KheiyahIsLife at 9:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010