any magic mom tricks i do not know of to get my 23 month old to swallow her medicine?

poor babygirl is on three different medicines right now. took her to the er last night and she has an upper resp. infection, a mild case of pneumonia (mild enough that they actually sent her home) and bronchiospasms on top of her already reactive airway disease.

she's been taking treatments from the nebulizer for weeks now so that's no problem. but she also has to take a liquid steroid and an antibiotic. today was the first day, hubby had to hold her and lay her down while i gave her the medicine, she left her mouth open and half of it dripped out, half of it she spit out, some she choked on and maybe a little bit was actually swallowed. she screamed as if she were being tortured! the meds aren't nasty and she's taken them before. im afraid she won't get better if she doesn't take it as directed. do you know of a certain way to get it to actually go down her throat, even if her mouth's open?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Milk..or Juice..Thats how we did it. my stepdaughter refused to take meds ever! nothing worked but this.Make sure shes not watching and put the dosage amount in a cup and mix it with juice or milk. put enough in there to disuege the taste. Use like some kinda berry juice since its typical for the childrens meds to taste liek cherries and such which doesnt blend wrell with OJ or apple! My Son had a bad case of bi lateral pneumonia and a double ear infection..its horrbile to see them in such agonoy. Hope she feels better soon!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 4:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I'm a peds nurse, and of coarse we have to give medications to children all of the time.
    First if the medications tasted terrible I would ask for different medications. If her steroid doesn't taste like grapes, it probably DOES taste awful. make sure it's grape or I would ask for a new prescription because I wouldn't wish the taste or generic prednisone on anyone! They also make a dissolve tab if she is willing to take chewables... it's also grape.
    Most antibiotics aren't that bad...
    I would NOT mix it in anything... then she has to take that much MORE of stuff she doesn't like and she has to finish it all to get the full dose. So unless you are sure she will take it I wouldn't try it. And sometimes kids catch on and they will stop eating and drinking too for fear that you might try to sneak something into their food.

Cont.....
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• cont...
    if her medications taste fine and she still refuses to take them.... you might still have to hold her down.
    To get most of the medication in... put the syringe in the back of her cheek, not shooting down her throat. Hold her cheeks so that she is making a fishy face... do tiny little squirts into the back of her cheek and while you do it blow fast puffs of air in her face which will cause a swallow reflex.
    You can try other methods to get her to cooperate... such as letting her hold the syringe.... push the meds in... prize or reward of some time after taking her medications.
    No matter if she does it willingly or puts up the battle of her life... don't scold or punish her. Praise her afterwards with "good jobs" and "thank you!!!!"
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Mix it in applesauce, a very little at a time. That's what I did, with the doctors consent, for the liquid steroid and the antibotic.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• try and get her to take it.. if she cries stick it in her mouth while she's crying and blow in her face.. she'll instinctively swallow :-D i've done this for my kids before when they needed to take medicine.. if it's a pill..... i'm sorry i have no advice
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 4:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• mix it in a few tablespoons of chocolate pudding. The only reason I say chocolate is because it can hide flavor well. So can mashed bananas. Only mix it in a few bites to ensure that she eats all of it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Oh and of course make sure she drinks the entire cup in 30 minutes :) good luck
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 4:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• thanks! i never thought of mixing it in a drink or in pudding. im sure the drink should work well for her because she chugs juice and milk down within minutes lol! great advice ladies!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Blow in her face - it causes a swallowing reflex. I used to have to do this for my son with autism and it's what the pediatrician suggested when I told them the problems I was having with liquid meds.

Answer by missanc at 7:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2010