WHY DO BABIES PEEL?

I am a 19yr old 1st time mom... my daughter is 2wks.... and her skin has been peeling since she was born.. its pretty much done now... and ive been told its completely normal.... but... do all babies peel? & why do babies peel?

rieya2010

Asked by rieya2010 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Everyone sheds their top layer of skin, but ince we shower daily, most of it rubs off in the shower. For a new born, it's totally different.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• She was waterlogged in the womb.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• OOOO... OK THANKS!! YEAM SINCE HOME I SPONGE BATHE HER... IVE NOTICED ITS PRACTICALLY GONE... JUST WONDERED Y IT HAPPENED! THANKZ :)
    rieya2010

Comment by rieya2010 (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Totally normal, Why do babies exhibit such impressive peeling after birth? "You would too, if you swam around for 9 months." Actually, the amount of peeling of a newborn's skin is related to how mature the baby is when born. Preterm babies peel very little, term babies peel quite a bit, and post-term babies may shed the skin in large flakes, especially the skin of the palms and soles.

Answer by older at 4:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• After nine or so months in water air can be very drying. It will go away after awhile just use a good moisturizing lotion.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My DD did this, but I had had a horrible flu at the end of my pregnancy, so I was dehydrated.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• its normal sweetie.....nothing to be afraid of or worried about....im a 23 year old mommy of a 4 year old little boy and i freaked out when i saw him peeling for the first time....but everyone told me its normal....it will stop eventually....just be patient and keep your baby healthy safe and happy.....if you can do that then you are doing a good job....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• thank you every1 :)
    rieya2010

Comment by rieya2010 (original poster) at 5:01 AM on Nov. 18, 2010