I think it's pink eye...

We just brought our new baby home from the hospital on Thursday, and I think our 4 year old now has pink eye =( he has a doctors appointment tomorrow morning. We've been making him wear a sanitary mask and washing and sanitizing his hands constantly, but he is in love with his new brother and always wants to hold him. He only gets to hold him once a day until he gets better and he seems to be okay with that. Is there anything else I can do to make sure our new baby doesn't get sick? Can he get RSV from being around our 4 year old with pink eye or even just a cold? The last thing I want is my baby in the hospital. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would have let my older child stay with the grandparents until the doc said they were in the clear. pink eye is very contagious and colds are easily picked up. but since he has been exposed and the child has a doctors appointment in the morning then i guess just hope for the best. GL
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't let him touch the baby at all until he is no longer contagious from pink eye. Pink eye is VERY contagious and easily spread. He will no longer be contagious after being on the meds for 24 hours. Do NOT mess around with pink eye. I would have also taken him to a walkin or urgent care clinic instead of waiting for an appointment with his doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Do not use the same washcloths to clean them both or let the baby come in contact with any of your other child's clothing or bedding. Reduce shared contact with any fabrics, towels or touch. You as parents need to be extra diligent about hand-washing also.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 12:16 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Pink is spread by getting the bacteria from the eye into another eye. It should only be contagious if he wipes his eye. I don't think the mask is really neccessary.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• a mask is not going to prevent the spread of pink eye... just FYI...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010