Pink Eye, New Baby! HELP!

We just brought our new baby home from the hospital on Thursday, and I think our 4 year old now has pink eye =( he has a doctors appointment tomorrow morning. We've been making him wear a sanitary mask and washing and sanitizing his hands constantly, but he is in love with his new brother and always wants to hold him. He only gets to hold him once a day until he gets better and he seems to be okay with that. Is there anything else I can do to make sure our new baby doesn't get sick? Can he get RSV from being around our 4 year old with pink eye or even just a cold? The last thing I want is my baby in the hospital. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't know the answer to your question, but as far as I understand, the baby should have some immunity from you. You are doing the right things as far as handwashing and your older son. Pinkeye can be caused by a virus or by bacteria, or it could just be due to an allergy. So, can the baby catch RSV? only if the pinkeye is caused by that virus and I've never heard of that. If your older son had a cold, I might say that's more of a problem, but again, handwashing and natural immunity should help. Good luck and hugs to you!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Pink eye is very contagious! I would not take any chances by letting him hold the baby until it is all gone!!! Eyes run like really bad with this!! U need to keep the baby away!! The baby is not protected,not having all the shots and the older one being contagious!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• my 3 year old got pink eye when i just brought my twins home, they were i think 1 month old. i kept her AWAY from them. and was constantly washing her hands. you dont want to take ANY chances ofthebaby getting pink eye, so my suggestion is to not let him hold the baby until it's gone.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 5:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Shots do not prevent pink eye.. Keep the oldest away from the baby until treated.. Pink eye can be caused by a virus or bacteria.. Your oldest can give the baby pink eye just by touching the baby's hands and then the baby rubs its eyes. It is spread by touch.. You or any adult your oldest is in contact with is at risk for catching it also..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• not to be mean but i dont think i would let the older child go near the new baby until he isnt sick anymore....i mean yeah it sounds mean but seriously you dont want your brand new baby in the hospital with something because you were scared that the other child was gonna hate you for not letting him around the new baby......RSV isnt anything to mess around with!!! get the older child better then let him around new baby.....dont let anyone around the new little one if they are sick...even if they just hav a slight cough or a sneeze here and there,or a runny nose/stuffy nose.....NOTHING!!!!! no sick people go around new baby.......hand sanitizer,soap and water,sanitary masks,hell even gloves.....keep everyone healthy and new baby out of the hospital.....i know i probably sound like a babbling idiot but seriously you dont wanna go thru baby having RSV or even worse......
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010