How do you know when it's time to switch your child from a crib to a bed?

My son turned 3 years old in August of this year and is still sleeping in a crib. As of yet, he's not trying to climb out of the crib, so safety is not a concern, at this point. Oh, and FYI - he is not yet potty trained. We're working on that - on and off.
My parents provide my husband and I with daycare and he now sleeps on one of my parent's couch at naptime with a bedrail (to prevent him from rolling off the couch) he no longer had enough room to sleep in a play yard. This has made me wonder if I should now switch him from his to a toddler bed.

My question is 'How' do you know when the time is right to move your preschooler from a crib to a bed?

momneedstimeout

Asked by momneedstimeout at 5:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I did it when my son was 15 months, but he was crawling out already. We put the bed in there the first few nights so he could see it and he was on it everyone and a while during the day. Then we took the crib completely away. We only had problems for the first 2 nights. Loved it ever since. GL
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• my daughter figured out how to escape her crib when almost two
    we watched her do it before we took down crib - pretty sly fox, or should i say monkey

sounds like time for big boy bed
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• He's old enough.....When my kids were little they didn't have toddler beds, and I switched them to a regular bed when they turned 4.....then I put the crib mattress on the floor by the bed just to make sure they were safe if they rolled out.
    Anonymous

• I moved my son to a bed around 18 months because he figured out how to get out pretty easy. Also I run a day care and at 12-15 months I transition children from a crib to a nap mat.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 5:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Our son slept in a pack-n-play since birth, and when he was about 28 months old he ripped a "rabbit hole" in the mesh side and would crawl in and out of it. That's when we knew it was time. We bought him a toddler bed and he's been doing great since! My oldest son was 20 months when I took away his paci and put him in a twin size bed the same night. Worked great!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son was moved to a twin bed shortly after his first birthday. He's slept all night ever since.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 5:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I knew it was time when my son was two years old and climbing out of the crib...
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 5:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• mine got out of it when she was about a year old and she was fine. You never know when they might try to climb out of the crib that goes from one moment to another. I would put him in a regular child bed.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 5:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Mine got moved to a toddler bed when they started climbing out of the crib. Age wise they were between 18mo and 2 yrs when they got moved to the toddler bed.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• when they start to climb out of the crib it is time to get a bed
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2010