Don't agree with they are teaching my kids in Sunday school... What would you do?

We starting going to church today because my parents have been literally begging us to go. I believe in God but I dont really "get" the church.. I just cant seem to pay attention or get what they are saying and usually end up leaving with a headache ( we went before but this was the first Sunday school) ....

I went to the basement for the kids sunday school so I could be with them ( they are 4 and 2 ) and there was only 1 other kid in the class ( the older ones were in a different room) ... They started off praying before getting a piece of candy which I understand but then the teacher asked about who made this and that... She asked where did the trees come from and my 4 year old daughter said "seeds" ... and the teacher basically scolded her and said " NO GOD MADE EVERYTHING" ... I told my daughter she was right and did a good job but it bugged me but I didnt know what to say to her ( I just bit my tongue)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I kind of thought about not going back but they are having a christmas play and gave my daughter a part in it and she is excited about it.... My parents act almost brainwashed ( especially my dad) ... and it is almost like if we dont go to church we cant have a relationship with him ..and i dont want that because I have/had a great relationship with them and we talk everyday, I depend on them, me and the kids even go and stay the night with them sometimes... but since they started going to this church ( about 3 months ago) things have changed... I do want God in my life, but I am also afraid of acting like them
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Here's my "2 cents" worth of advice-- it sounds like this particular church and sunday school are not a good 'fit' for you and your family. If you really do want to go to church then I would suggest looking around and finding a church that you feel comfortable in, where you can sit and enjoy the sermon (without getting a headache) and that has a sunday school program that you like. BTW I think your daughter's answer of seeds was cute, and the 'teacher' should not have scolded her for telling the truth as some trees do grow from seeds!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Do you have a problem with WHAT they are teaching your child, or HOW they are teaching it? I would imagine it would be almost impossible to find a church that does not teach God made everything! :D However if it is how the teacher handled your daughter's answer I would talk to her or sit in on some more classes. Maybe this was just a slip up and the teacher thought she should have handled it differently. (Such as, "good answer, but where did the seed come from??). Or, the teacher may not be a very good teacher for children, in which case that will be obvious if you sit in on a few more classes.

However, if you are struggling, I would do like was suggested, and find a church you can learn and grow in!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I agree with MixLee it sounds like that church is not a good fit for you and what the teacher did was wrong. I would allow your daughter to continue to go until Christmas-if that is what she wants and then look for another church.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If you do not like what they are teaching your children. find a different church.

Answer by louise2 at 6:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I agree with everyone else, find another.

Answer by older at 6:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I agree with micheledo, is your problem more with what they said, or how they dealt with the situation. If it is just how they are dealing with your daughter (I probably wouldnt have been thrilled either, I would have told my daughter exactly what micheledo said, that yes it did come from the seed, but where did the seed come from?) But if you are having serious issues with what they teach in the church then you need to find a place that you belong. I wont go to just any church, and do not practice the same denomination as my parents did because I dont agree with it, it was hard for them to accept, but they see that I am strong in my faith, and that I do spend time teaching my children about God, and living a Godly life.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 6:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Uh... You seem to believe in God, but not Sunday school. She's your daughter so if you don't like what they're teaching her there I wouldn't let her go. Who cares what anybody thinks of that !
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 6:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Wow Its sad how sunday schools for children are in mainline churches.
    Your daughter was correct in her answer and the teacher could have taken it further by asking where does she think the seeds come from. I bet you your daughter would have answered God. She is a thinker :-)
    As for the service... It sounds like you need to have some foundational studies to gain understanding of the Word of God. Its not about the building but the people inside that people are relational people and God is all about relationship. This is what I think you need to focus on. Find a church that focus on this aspect!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I would go to another church.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2010