I've had a horrible, horrible

year this year. As a matter of fact, the last four have been pretty awful but this was the worse. I so don't want to do the holidays but don't want to be a scrooge. Any suggestions on how to get into the holiday spirit. My kids are 22 and 16, so "do it for the little ones" is not an option.

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Holidays

• volunteer at a soup kitchen or a shelter, help out with a food drive, or a local girft tree. Sometimes I find that the only way to get into the Christmas spirit is by helping those who truly need help and appreciate it. It makes you feel count your blessings to see those less fortunate. I am sorry that you have had such a hard time the past few years.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• tell youself, since the past years were crappy, this ones gonna be different! Go all out,.get the decorations out,shoppe with your family,plan a great christmas dinner. Maybe if you get into it, so will the rest of your family, if they see you happy it will make them happy. Maybe it will break the cycle. Give it a try!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Just put up the decorations and do the present thing.  You do not have to be in the spirit. You just have to act like you are.

Answer by louise2 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I want suggestions on not how to act like I am but something to actually shake me into it.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Comment by ShouldHaveLeft (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Play Christmas music, go to the mall and see Santa, start shopping, decorate your home, bake tons of holiday yummies. Just immerse yourself in all the magic of the season - you won't be able to help feeling happy.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Does the 22 yr old still at home? If so why not have a small family talk about the holidays.. get the kids
    input and maybe brainstorm some newer holiday ideas for this yr...
    Everyone has tough yrs... wither it's money, family. or health issues and sometimes it's the small things
    during the Holiday season that cheers you up...
    My Dh was diagnosed with Cancer 3x's since 2002 and ea time just before the Holidays, the last time in 08,
    he had just finished Chemo prior to Fall that yr... monies were tight, but I still found a way to get into the
    Spirit of the Season and got thru... I am sure between you and your children you will find a simple way of getting
    thru the holiday season too...

Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I always think that it could be my last, Or a loved ones last holiday! And I love listening to christmas music and seeing the twinkling lights that gets me in the mood too!
    LadyofIvory

Answer by LadyofIvory at 6:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Do some volunteer work (helping people in need always makes me feel wonderful, even if they never know it was me!), find free or cheap things to do in the area that are holiday related (community theater, local high school choir performances, nativity reenactments, craft bazaars, zoo lights, etc). Make homemade gifts for relatives. Even if I have the money to spend on things, I still prefer to make some homemade gifts and decorations. Listen to Christmas music. Get a Christmas themed novel and sit by a cozy fire or heater with a fuzzy blanket and some hot cocoa and spend some time reading. (Debbie Macomber's Christmas novels are my favorites).
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I'm sorry for what you're going through.. I fedl like you too!! Someone asked me, how many trees I'm putting up? I've been battling Triple negative breast caner all year. I go to the hospital every weekday. I can't imagine and I have no strength and many side effects. But I have people that just want to hear I've done it! Not even my Best friend or in laws' of family come to see.. But I have Grand babies to do it for. But just put in some music any tunes that get you going.. I need to see snow. Plus+ DH & I met on Christmas eve. I was 16 he was 18. We have to,.. But just bring out stuff that has Good memories. Relive those memories. Out do yourself in your decorating talents and Have fun. Be glad that you have a house, things and memories and are able to. I don't know if I'm able to. The 3 Chemos were Brutal to me! I wish you the best. Even Charlie Brown had a Tree and loved it! GL getting into this! I know you can do it!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Christmas music always seems to cheer me up, also just going into Christmas stores.....but then again I really love Christmas time and the lights and everything else but the shopping
    malachaismama

Answer by malachaismama at 7:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010