Ever lived in another country?

If so what was the biggest difference/culture shock?

sbastille

Asked by sbastille at 1:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I lived in Korea when I was stationed there in 99-00. I then got a chance to 'vacation' in Iraq 3 times from Jan 03 to July 03, Aug 04 to Jun 05 and Aug 06 to July 07. The biggest culture shock was (in 03) how there were no schools that I could see since there were children (some couldn't even walk yet) were out on the sides of the roads begging for food and water and anything else that they Soldiers would throw to them as we were driving by. When we went back in 04 there was a HUGE difference! There were kids all in the same uniform with the same bookbags going to schools. It was amazing! I felt that we were really doing something over there! (I still feel that we are!) The other HUGE culture shock that the terrorists strap bombs to their children and send them to the camps that US Soldiers are at. But those are the places that i've lived in. :) Fun and exciting! :) Lol!
    kimbercase26

Answer by kimbercase26 at 1:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• nope sure havent
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• tea time every afternoon and military time (24 hour clocks). I lived in Chile for 6 wks when I was 17.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 2:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i have but that was only for 3 months in the summer, i have notice some don't shave, beer at an early age, smoking weed but it was called something else witch i forgot darn it,
    semiwife

Answer by semiwife at 2:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i forgot to say that i couldn't use my hair dry or curling iron because i needed different plugs
    semiwife

Answer by semiwife at 2:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I lived in Haiti for about 3 months. I noticed that there were hardly any stop signs or stop lights. People just drove wherever they felt like driving. There was cattle that just walked freely in the roads. There were road side stands that sold "food", cooked it right there roadside, but it was the most unsanitary, nasty stuff...made me queasy! I noticed their cemeteries were really different. Rather than peaceful and quiet, they were brightly painted pink, purple, blue, green, tomb like things above ground. . There were broken glass bottles on top of stone walls to make the tops sharp. They wanted their bottles back to be refilled. Eww, nasty! LOL I also remember riding in a bus w/about 40 other people and the bus was only meant for like 25. We crammed in there and as we were going down the road, realized we could see the road going by UNDERNEATH us. There were HUGE holes in the floor of the bus!! LOL
    lindseywhitaker

Answer by lindseywhitaker at 2:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Ugh, I mis-edited my reply above....ignore the wanting their bottles back part. LOL that was in reference to another incident! sorry!
    lindseywhitaker

Answer by lindseywhitaker at 2:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I've lived in Japan for 4 years when I was stationed there. The huge shock was how polite and nice everyone was. I left my car keys on top of my car one night, and when I went back out a couple of hours later they were still there. Also, another time was, I took a cab home late after work one night and overpaid the driver. The next time I had to take a cab home, I had the same driver and he didn't charge me because I gave him too much the last time. You don't see things like that happening in the states at all.
    melittler

Answer by melittler at 11:39 AM on Nov. 4, 2008