Religion (women of all faiths/beliefs)-Your World View Inquiry

How does your faith/religion/practice affect others?
What do you do to LIVE out your convictions?
* I ask for no bashing of other peoples beliefs here. Please do not tell someone else they are wrong. This question is for listening and to appreciate women of many faiths/practices.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• How does my faith affect others? I am not sure if I understand this correctly. It really only directly affects my spouse (who believes the same as I) and our children. As far as other people, I would hope that people like what they see in me and would question me or even say something about my life that would open the door for me to share more.

Live out my convictions: Lots of things! Christ affects every single area of my life. I try to be patient and loving to my kids so that they will see Christ's love in me. I (try) love my husband and act unselfishly towards him even when I think he should be thinking about ME! :D Don't we all have those moments. Christ was a servant and show love to people, He asks me to do the same thing. So I work hard at not being full of pride and focusing on what I want or need, and try to see the needs of other people.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Specific things - take an item back into the store that I accidentally didn't pay for, pay the store back when I am under charged, drive the speed limit because I am to obey the authority over me (even though I don't like to), Have people into our home to get to know them, give to those in need, tell others what I believe about the Bible, . . .

Lots of people do the same things I do and don't believe the Bible, but the REASON I do those things is because of Christ. (Hope that makes sense)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I appreciate your honesty and thank you for your response. I posted this question because I see so much attacks of women of different faiths. I have my own beliefs and don't understand why religion is so much of a debate. I appreciate things from all religions and those that don't believe. I always wonder why someone believes what they believe and appreciate there thoughts. I dont want anyone to believe as I do, I just want to live LOVE out. In my actions and thoughts.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My faith has nothing to do with others, and it is lived out by adhering to the main tenets of it: Courage, Truth, Honor, Fidelity, Discipline, Hospitality, Industry, Self-Reliance, and Perseverance. We don't get bonus points for recruiting, we don't care what other gods different people have. We get a bit ticked when people try to rewrite history and co-opt our gods, rituals and holy days for their own purposes, or redefine things to make them fit better into their own world view, but that's not my faith affecting others, that's others attempting to impose their will upon my faith.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My faith affects no one, other than myself, my DH and my son. (Well, the rest of my family as well.. since they have to deal with me LOL)

I mainly keep to myself. I quietly worship the gods and make offerings to them. I assist people when I am able. We are expected to help our own first, then others, if it will not affect our child. Now, if my head wasn't so stuffy.. I could give a more in depth answer.. but, I am sick.. booo
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 6:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Thank you, NotPanicking! How do you use your main tenets in your daily life. I really like all those tenets. I feel I have a few of those.

*btw I am voting up everyones answer. I appreciate the honesty. I have my own beliefs but admire the honest answers here. Thank you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• @ Kealeansmom Hope you feel better. Being sick suxs! Thanks for sharing. I concur that I must help myself first. Take care of home before I can help someone else.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• First, let me start by saying that this was a very well written question Anon.
    Now onto my response...
    As an Eclectic Pagan, my beliefs have affected first and foremost my 17 y/o ds. He has been taught that no one belief is the "right" one & that he must respect, tolerate & accept all others.... And I will admit that as a mother & a human being in general I have made many mistakes, but this is not one of them. This is one thing in my life that I can say for sure I did it right, my boy rocks! Other ways I guess would be my universal belief in Kharma... AKA... What comes around goes around... Do Unto Others... 3 fold, etc. I always keep that in mind every day & in all that I do.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 6:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My religion affects my family because I am giving them the most important education and the importance of respecting themselves and others. I am very open IRL about talking about my beliefs which I think is living my convictions and I listening to others. (Yes it is totally possible :) ) I have been asked MANY times what religion I am because of my actions. My religion supports rights and freedoms of women and I am happy about that. But I am blessed with all of these things because of Him.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• @FeelinYummy Thank you for the comment and compliment regarding the question. I went to college awhile back and an assignment we had to do was to interview 3 people of others faith and why they believed what they believed. It was one of the best courses I ever took. I admire that you taught him those core values of respect, tolerate and acceptance of others. My sister believes in Kharma. I adore her. I love watching "my name is Earl" his list is always filled with funny things he's done wrong and trying to make right.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2010