Extended rear facing? How many actually do it?

After answering another question, I wondered how many moms here do it. I know there have been many posts about this in the past, but I'm sure many moms have learned about erf through these past questions and that maybe some of them are doing it. Does anyone on tonight do it?

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I too learned about it on here, my son is 27mths old and 25lbs and still rearfacing. Im hoping we will make it to his 3rd bday atleast. If you can go longer than age 3, great!, if not, then I certainly wouldnt feel bad about it. My son is in an Evenflo Triumph Advance, which only goes to 35lbs RF'ing, Im looking into getting either one of the new Britax seats that goes to 40, or an SKR to go to 45.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I do
    I actually didn't know about it until I was on here. The idea wasn't known to me in 1999, which was the last time I had a child, prior to this one.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Well not anymore, but only because my kids have outgrown their seats rear facing. My kids are tall and skinny. They are currently 5.5 and 3.5 years old. The 3.5 year old was just turned around at about 2.5 years old and the 5.5 year old is still in a 5 point harness and will be until he outgrows it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• im looking into buying one the will be a rear facing longer than the infant one we have! but my dd is so tall! she is off the charts for her age group so i dont want her in a rear face with her knees up to her chin! so i guess when she out grows it we will turn around!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 6:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son is 17 months old. He is 33 inches and 25 pounds. As he is in the 95th % for height, I don't know what to think about how long I can ERF. But I plan to as long as I can. I think 3 will be fine to turn around.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I didn't turn my sons around until I absolutely had to (he got too tall).
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Not us. My 4.5 year old is in a booster seat. I would not do that to him no b/c he is 45 inches tall. He is 105% for height.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I didn't with my son and I don't plan to with this child.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My kids were rear-facing until around age two... but it took them until close to eighteen or twenty months to reach twenty pounds anyhow! My kids are little tiny peanuts! Now they are eight, six, and almost four... the eight year old is in a booster seat, and the six and three year old are front facing in five point harnesses- the law in my province states they need to be in the harness until forty pounds and my little bitty six year old is still not there yet!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My daughter is 15 months old, 24 lbs and still rear facing. She's actually still in her infant seat. She's getting a new seat for Christmas from my mom and she'll be rear facing in that, too.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2010