How are you adjusting to the empty or almost empty nest?

2 down 2 to go. A 26 and 19 year old left at home. Boy is life different!

chris219

Asked by chris219 at 6:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• sometimes reality bites and we have to face the truth...i am just letting all out to GOD.....i will pray for you so that the loneliness in you will soon be over
    neng999

Answer by neng999 at 2:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My oldest is turning 18 at the end of this month and there are times when I will actually sit all alone and cry thinking about her growing up, moving away and not being my little girl any more. I'm so scared... I just can't imagine her being here everyday, not seeing her smile everyday or hearing her laugh. I'm about to start bawling just writing about it!

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It was very difficult for me. I enjoyed having time to myself but missed them so much at the same time
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It hasn't been that hard. Three of mine (ages 20, 22 and 24) are totally out of the nest and my youngest (almost 19) attends college in another state and has been home 4 times since he left in August. Starting in Jan. (since football is done with and once the holidays are over) 2 weekends a month to just hang out, have lunch and take in a movie and twice a month he'll come home for the weekend. He'll also be home for a month from mid-Dec. until mid-Jan. and for the summer but he works and has a gf so he'll be busy. My oldest comes over for supper twice a week, my 22yo calls 2x's a week right now, my 20yo calls a few times a week and my 18yo calls every night. Hubby and I are enjoying our time with it just being the 2 of us. We go out often, enjoy quiet suppers and are enjoying life without kids at home. We still have a close bond with our sons but they have their own lives & we have ours, it's a nice mix.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I have four children, ages 24, 23, 21 and 16. The older three are out of the nest. One in fact is in the military and out of the state. I have my sixteen year old left at home. I decided that I devoted my entire life to the kids and now I should figure out what I want. I went back to grad school full time and I am pursuing a MA. Sure, I miss my kids very much and even cry at times, however, it's ok to do something for me. I think keeping busy is good because before you know it, we'll be grandmas!
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I had three and only one is still at home my 23 year old son, he just graduated from the university and it won't be long before he is gone too. I have learned to adjust occupying my time with others things, new found time is easy to fill up, I also am the caregiver for my 91 year old mom and that takes up a lot of my free time. It is not that bad, specially when you can look and see what a great job you did raising them, it is rewarding!

Answer by older at 4:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yeah. I do miss the day to day contact. Even with the two at home I don't see them much. I love cell phones cause texting isnt seen as being too much of a mom!
    chris219

Comment by chris219 (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2010