Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what am i legally entitled to..

well me and the father of both my children have been separated since june2010 and we were never legally married but always went half on everything . my bestfriends father bought us a car that we had to pay back money to. i maybe paid 200-300 on that payments but insurance & down payments on insurance and damages to the car i put about...700-800 i wanted to know because he left me and my kids with no type of transportation and when i need to take them to the doctor or anything for foodshopping or laundry he blows it off..he doesnt financially support the kids would i be able to take him to court to fight for the car? he never even drives it or continuesly has "no gas" i walk and take buses everywhere with my kids and it doesnt bug me beside that we did it togetheir and he gets the enjoyment & the free ride when he doesnt do anything but in the mean time i go to school work and take care of both my kids in this freezing weather

Answer Question

Asked by jerseyzvixen at 6:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • Who's name is the title in? That's who's car it is.

    Answer by Cindy18 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • sadly his because i didnt have a drivers license at the time

    Comment by jerseyzvixen (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • you're screwed

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • Do you have anything in writing from the person you bought the car from stating that you and him were buying the car? If not, I think you are out of luck. It's his word against yours that you bought it together.

    Answer by Cindy18 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • Get him for child support and buy your own car

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • i can get her father to write me anything because im her best friend and i am very close to the family so that wouldnt be a problem...but even putting him on child support doesnt do anything im supposed to get 600 basically a month but since i am on welfare cash it goes directly to them because they are helping me and i dont want to risk getting off and getting direct child support because he has yet to make a payment and it is going on 2 months he hasnt so id be screw.

    Comment by jerseyzvixen (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • Unfortunately, since you weren't officially married, there's not a lot you can do besides get him for child support. Start there.

    Answer by Reenieredhead at 7:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • THIS is why I always say that you need to be married before you have kids, But everyone bashes me. @@
    LEGALLY it is best to be married. are really SOL now.

    Answer by kerp1960 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • You can take him to small claims court to try to get something for the car if the person you bought it from will say that you put up half the money, but other than that . . . you're out of luck. You're right - if you are on welfare then his child support goes to them to pay back part of the money they are giving to you.

    Answer by missanc at 8:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • well i dont know what state you are in but legally he has to pay child support. do you have receipts for all the payments you have made toward that car b/c you are entitled to either getting your money back or getting the car. who is the title of the car in. you should ask for the money that you have invested in the car back since you are not allowed to drive it. sounds like a judge judy situation.

    Answer by KheiyahIsLife at 9:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.