Is it common for a boy to hold their poop in?

Our son has been doing this for some time now. At least 3 months. He has been peeing in the potty a while now, going on 5 months. He is 27 months old. Some days he holds it in so often it turns into a couple days of not pooping....then he is miserable. This is now. I give him an oz of prune juice in water, plus lots of fruits and veggies (glad he loves them), but it isn't that he is constipated. He is holding it in, then it seems it hurts to poop at all. Is this a common thing boys do while potty training?

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 6:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is normal. My son would pee in the potty. He was afraid to poop he told us. We were very patient with him and gave him some mirelax to help. We would have to sit with him and rub his back, etc. to help him. After about a week...he finally pooped and we praised him big time. Even bought him a present.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think pretty much all toddlers do that at some point in their potty training phase. I remember my daughter having a poop in her butt the size of a clementine orange. I had to glove up, grab some lube, reach in and pull it out because she was just screaming. I think she had just turned 3 at the time.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• This is where the term "anal retentive' came from,and yes it is

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Many toddlers are afraid of sitting on the toilet. Be patient. Let him watch you or dad poop to see it's nothing to be afraid of. Does he have a potty of his own so he's not afraid of falling in?

Answer by admckenzie at 6:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• LOL I feel bad for him, but what can I do
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Yes my 1st son was afraid to poop in the potty at first because he thought it was a bad thing but once he finally did it and got his praise and reward he knew it was the right thing to do.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 6:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It's not fear, I don't think anyways....he has a little potty and a potty seat on the big toilets. He has been watching daddy and I pee and poop since the beginning of his life. I never go to the bathroom interupted actually. He sits on it when he has to poop, on his own sometimes, but isn't getting the feeling to push it out. That's my guess anyways. He gets really stiff when he tries to poop, that is how I know he has to go. I mean as stiff as a board. If I get him at just the right moment and run him to the toilet as soon as he sits it sometimes comes flying out. But other times he holds it in.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I did the whole finger up the butt earlier tonight and just putting the tip of my finger in can feel the poop.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It's common for all children. It is a difficult milestone for them.
    Anonymous