How do you get a 3 1/2 year old to go to bed at night with out fussing

my son won't go to sleep in his bed but like to sleep with mom and dad eventhough we have tried to get him in his own room.

Heather E.

Asked by Heather E. at 6:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Make bedtime fun. Let him pick out his own PJ's and tell him he has to brush his teeth, put his PJ's on & get into bed as fast as he can, Then when you tuck him in read him a story and tell him if he sleeps in his bed all night he'll get a special treat in the morning. If he does then get up before he does and leave him a treat or new toy on his bed.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 7:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• You put him in his room. Make it comfy and cozy, maybe a nightlight. Make sure hes had everything he could possibly need lol... and then make him STAY THERE. You may spend the first night completely frustrated and find yourself walking him back in 100X's that night lol but every night there after it WILL GET EASIER.......FOR BOTH OF YOU!!! No matter how much he cries or throws a fit, you have to be STRONG Mommy and stick to your guns! :) After a week he'll get the picture! Good Luck!
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I would NOT buy him a new toy for sleeping in his bed! Unless you want to buy him a toy every night till he goes to collage! LOL I do however agree with making it fun and him apart of it! And my previous advice came from our pediatrician and has worked perfectly for me;)
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 7:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• He needs a nightly routine. Like a bath and then story in bed and then lights off. If he gets up, he goes right back into his bed. No drinks, talking, excitement. Eventually he will get used to it and it will be easy.
    chrisnjoesmom

Answer by chrisnjoesmom at 7:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• eye rollingI wasn't suggesting buy him a toy every day. You don't continue to give treats once they have potty training down do you?

405mom

Answer by 405mom at 7:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I agree that he should be walked back to his bed as often as it takes. Stay calm and don't say anything. You can also sit on the floor of the room with your back to the bed. Every time he gets up you put him gently back in the bed. It might take a few nights but he should get it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• maybe start off with getting him to sleep in his bed (falling asleep with YOU in there at bedtime and he will get used to waking up in his bed.. then start telling him it is bed time and take him in there and do as the others suggested. put him in there (my little girl had no problem going to bed once she knew that if she did when she woke up mommy and daddy were in the next room) and he should be ok to go to bed and if it takes a few nights of taking him back to his own bed and walking out.. but it was easier for my little girl to adjust to when mommy would be in there with her until she fell asleep and then on her own.
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I would do the sitting in room wth back to him untill he falls asleep...Supernanny does that one...gl
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 3:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Try a bedtime routine..let him take a couple of small toys to hold onto. That's just what works for my Son, though..plus He just got a new bigger bed and loves it, so bedtime really isn't an issue anymore. *knocks on wood*
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 6:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Do you read him a story? Sometimes they fall asleep to that.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2010