Dogs and Clothes

I was taking my Yorkie for a walk. Some old lady was following me while driving. She stopped and told me my dog looks cold. It was slightly raining and he had a sweater on. I said "he's fine." And then she told me she was going to call the SPCA to report me because I did not have a raincoat on him! I called the SPCA to see if it is the law to have a raincoat on your dog when raining. Of course they laughed and said not to worry about it. Anyone else have weird encounters with people giving you dog advice?

isabellem

Asked by isabellem at 7:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Pets

• LOL! That's just weird! How does she think animals survive in the wild if they don't have humans to put coats on them? The weirdest pet advice I ever got was when I took my african pygmy hedgehog to the parkette across from my old apartment... a lot of people used to stop and look at her because a lot of people had never seen a hedgehog before. But one time, this guy kept telling me he was sure she was a possum. I said no, that she was a hedgehog, but the guy still hung around for ten minutes or so trying to convince me she was actually a possum. Like I didn't know what species my pet was... not to mention that possums do not have quills.... just a strange encounter!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think you just had a freak incident dear..lolz

But small breeds do not handle cold well. It's hard on their joints, especially their hips. I have a Chi Yorkie and when it's cold Eddie wears his sweddie!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• That lady's response was over the top. I have 2 Teacup Chihuahuas & I often get an opposite response, people criticizing because my dogs are wearing clothes. Meanwhile, my vet has warned me that because of their size & the fact that they have very little hair & it's short hair at that, they should never be exposed to temperatures below 50 degrees without warm clothes on & if below 40 they should not be outside at all unless wrapped in blankets & carried to a warm car. Below 40 degrees they have to use a litterbox.
    @ Freela, not all dog breeds can survive in the wild... A Chihuahua or a Yorkie wouldn't stand a chance.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Major eye roll! Ignore crap like that. Yeah, like PETA is gonna run out to you on the street and tell you you abuse your animal. Get a life old lady!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• That lady sounds like a nut-job! LOL
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Good grief, I can only imagine that she must have some pretty spoiled pets. I did get a stern talking to by a neighbor lady once for calling our dog a mutt. She was a spitz,pug, beagle, jack russel mix. She was a mutt. LOL
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I would've told her ..."really her let me give you that number..." LOL!!! The only reason a dog would need a coat would be because some crazy woman kept it clothed 24/7 and its body could no longer adapt. But everyone has their opinions about pet clothing and some will voice themselves quite loudly at times. I had to listen to some woman ranting about how it's inhumane to have my service dog vested in the summer. But I told her to take it up with the establishments that require that a service dog be clearly identified as a service dog.
    MommyWoes

Answer by MommyWoes at 12:00 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• That's way extreme behavior. The old lady had nothing better to do. One time, I was picking up some take-out dinners from one of our fav spots, and had our dog Whiskey with me. Of course, I couldn't bring him into the restaurant so I left my car running WITH the AC running. Next thing I know, some old lady comes stomping into the restaurant yelling at the top of her lungs and she goes, "Whoever left the dog in their car get ready because I called the police on you!" I was like WHAT!! She got in my face telling me how horrible I am for doing it. Now I have barely walked in and trying to pay because I left my car running even though I could see it from the restaurant window right in front. I told her "Good! Now you can tell the police you made a fraudulent call when they get here because obviously your hearing failed you. My car is on with ac on." She was embarassed and left before the police got there. STUPID lady.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 6:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2010