How do you view your role as a parent of a preschooler?

Do you look at preschool more like a playgroup?
Is your preschool part of the elementary school your child will go to when done with preschool?
Do you read all the papers that come?
Do you attend family meetings? (assuming your preschool has them)
Which are you a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom), WAHM (Work At Home Mom) or a WOSM (Work OutSide Mom)?

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 7:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We did a year of provide preschool when Max was 2yrs old (2 hours a day 2 days a week) because he had such an intense desire to be around other kids. Then the director changed at the preschool, they became a voucher based preschool/daycare and max'd out the tuition to the top limit the state would pay. This meant tuition doubled for cash-payers. :P WE couldn't afford it. So we did public preschool when Max was 3, We stuck with it until Christmas then pulled him. We were not happy with it at all. The kids were out of control, the parents were uninvolved and they sent a truency letter because max missed too much school because of baby brothers dr appointments (he has a genetic condition). So we pulled him at Christmas and went private again. I drive 30 miles round trip with drop off/pickup a day but it is so worth it. Awesome involved parents, great kids, great teachters. WE are sold on private preschool
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son is in VPK this year and has been in preschool since he was 3. I was a WOSM then and I was as involved as I could be around my schedule. I read everything they sent home and participated as much as I was able. This year I am more of a WAHM and I am even more involved in his school than previously. He is going to a private school and hopefully he will be next year too. It is a wonderful school and actively works to keep D engaged as he gets bored very easily.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I don't know much about VPK, but I'm wondering why is your son in it if hes been going since 3? Do they go fromm VPK to first grade or do they still have to do kindergarden?
    whoreallycares

Comment by whoreallycares (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i work outside the home very very part time... i do view preschool as a glorified play group, however kids learn through play at 3 years old, so i don't mind. i do attend meetings, voulenteer, etc at her school. i think it's important to keep involved.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I work outside the home full time, also am a realtor part time. I am lucky to have both grandmothers watch the kids while i'm at work. I put my older son in preschool last march because he was very socially withdrawn. The main reason I think preschool is important is for learning socilaization. I also think it benefits him to learn the basics before being thrown into kindergarden. I love and am very interested in everything he does so yes I do read everything he gets. His school is infant through K. But when he's ready for Kindergarden he will go to public school.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2010